Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer crippled after IEXPLORE Download [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
after 30 mins, it finished and no log opened. It created an sfclog.txt file with 0 bytes in it. If it is supposed to invoke something on the CD, it never read anything on it.

Should I just back up my data files and re-install windows xp?

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi stratec,

We can do a repair install without deleting your personal files and programs. First I need to know what service pack is your XP CD?

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Windows XP 2002 SP3. The CD from my friend is SP2. Do I need to get an SP3 somehow?

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
No, we can make your CD work. I am preparing some instructions for you that should be ready in the morning.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi stratec,

We will now do a repair install to fix your OS. This will not delete any of your personal files or programs, but it doesn't hurt to make a backup first.

First, we will need to add Service Pack 3 to your XP CD. Follow the instructions below.

Slipstreaming your XP CD.
  • First, download Service Pack 3 and save it to a convenient place on your computer.
  • Next, make a new folder in a convenient location on your computer named "XPSetup." Please insert your XP CD and copy all of the files and folders on the CD into you newly created folder.
  • Download nLite and install it on your computer.
  • Once it is installed, open the nLite program. Choose your language and click the Next button.
  • You should now see the screen below. Please click the Browse button and navigate to your folder named "XPSetup." After you do this, the installation details from your CD should appear below. In your case, it should say Service Pack: 2.

Posted Image
  • Please click Next until you get the screen below. Please click on the Service Pack button and the Bootable ISO button so that the circles next to them turn green, as below.

Posted Image
  • Click Next again and you will see this screen. Click on the Select button and then navigate to where you downloaded the Service Pack 3 file. Click the okay button and allow the program to integrate the service pack. This may take a few minutes.

Posted Image
  • Click Next again. Under the Mode menu, please select Burn Image and under the Device menu, make sure your CD drive is selected. Please insert a blank CD and then click the Burn button. Allow the program to burn your disc.

Posted Image

Now you should have an XP CD with SP3. We will now perform a repair install of XP. Please make sure you have your license key handy just in case you need it. If it is not printed on a sticker somewhere on your computer, you can retrieve it using the free Magical Jellybean KeyFinder.

Please follow this tutorial to perform the repair install. Make sure you select the repair option and not the fresh install option.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions.

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Backed up everything to be safe. Downloaded SP3. Tried nlite link and got error in screen attachment 1. Went to home and tried to download nlite but it wants to download "download mgr" attachment 2. Then we I start this, I see I will get all these toolbars and "helpers". So I punted.

Attached Thumbnails

• nlite.JPG
  • download mgr.JPG
  • BS Toolbar Things.JPG

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
No good, you don't want all that junk.

Try this link.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Sorry, that doesn't work either.

Please go to this page and download the "Self-extracting archive."

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
OK. I got nlite downloaded and got all the way to step 7 when I get the error in screen shot below telling me that my SP3 is not a valid win32 app.

You can see the Firefox download directory with the SP3.exe file in it. I went back and tried to download again. The weird thing is Microsoft says it is 316MB but the download stops at 39MB. I don't get any error. It just stops the download at 39MB. So perhaps that is why nlite dies when I tried to select it? slipstream err.JPG

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hold the phone. Downloaded SP3 one more time and got all 316MB's. Selected it in Nlite and it completed and integrated successfully. I set up to burn per your instructions (see screen shot 1). But when I hit burn, it asks me for "Choose ISO file to burn" . I look around in XPSETUP but can't find it.

Attached Thumbnails

• burn.JPG
  • iso.JPG

Advertisements

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi stratec,

I made a little mistake in my directions. I should be able to get you a revised edition later today.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi stratec,

In Step 8, instead of "Burn Image," you need to select "Direct Burn." The image above has been updated to show this.

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I was able to create new SP3 CD and run repair. It came up with IE 6 and gave me error messages when I tried to type in a URL. So from Firefox, I installed IE 8.

It is working fine now.

Thanks Buddierdl ! You're the man or woman! Like I said in the beginning, you will be promoted if you can fix this. Thanks for hanging in there for 3 weeks.

I will make a contribution to Geekstogo.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Hi stratec,

I'm glad we got that sorted out. Let's run a quick sweep just to make sure nothing is left behind lurking.

Also, please be sure to install all the Windows updates, because the repair install removes them. This is necessary for the protection of your computer.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

Extra Note:

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

stratec

stratec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'm clean. Nothing detected in log. What do you think happened to me? Stratec

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.1.1000
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.12.07.11

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
Eric Stratmann :: YOUR-808E7D12E4 [administrator]

12/7/2012 4:50:53 PM
mbam-log-2012-12-07 (16-50-53).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 228301
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 15 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0