Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Error Message of Death?

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

My Windows XP desktop computer is about two years old, and it has stopped working completly. When I try to boot I get this error: "windows root system 32 hal.dll is missing or corrupt." I've tried installing via an XP recovery CD, not the one that came with the computer, because this computer did not come with one. I tried to burn one when I first got the computer, but I'm not sure it worked, and I have no idea where it is as I've moved two or three times since then. The recovery CD is confusing. I've googled a few prompts to try and repair things, but it just doesn't work. I get the same error when I try to boot, even in safe mode. I'm concerned that it might be an issue with the hard drive because of the computer's age, but I'm not sure. What should I do?

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,062 posts
Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics