Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked hdd

• Please log in to reply

Philip50

Philip50

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I purchased a locked hdd. I would like to unlock this hdd using ATA Secure Erase.I just want to use this drive. I have a netbook laptop. Can I trade out my drive with this locked drive and unlock the drive? If I can do this is there anything I need to worry about? Is there a way I can do this through an USB connection? I hope I'm being clear about what I want. Advice/Info is welcome Thanks PJR

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i would LLF (Low Level Format) it that will reset the drive to factory settings

here is a link to download it

PLEASE NOTE THIS WILL ERASE ALL THE DATA ON THE DRIVE AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RETREIVE IT!

let me know if you have any questions

Edited by dennisK16, 21 November 2012 - 01:49 PM.

Philip50

Philip50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Is this tool in ubcd? I have not yet checked.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Phillip & welcome. This can be an awkward one, depends what equipment that it was in when locked xbox / media player etc.. It could have been locked by a virus or by the bios. UBCD has an ATA Password utility which might help or the first two utils. from this link might be helpfull.......

http://windows.podno...hdd_format.html

Philip50

Philip50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for your welcome. I have tried a number of things. I am open to suggestions. I think the only thing I've found out so far is that I need another computer so I can use one and wait on the other. This hdd is being a pain! ( I know how to fix it ultimately, but I would like to use it.)

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Phillip, just rechecked your first post, duh. hadn't caught quite what you where asking. I havn't used ata secure erase, went a diff.route . I wouldn't use usb best to connect directly to controller. Does your netbook have an optical drive ?.

Philip50

Philip50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
No optical drive. I will get one eventually. I'm guessing I need more detailed info on my netbook (aspire one d257 ) Direct input instead of USB??
Philip

Edited by Philip50, 22 November 2012 - 08:25 PM.

deggitt

deggitt

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hi Phillip, hard drive needs to directly connect to controller, software can be run from optical drive or usb stick. I did a google search and found these. You might have found them yourself but they might help others. Good luck.

http://www.guardian....password-locked

http://tinyapps.org/...ves_hdparm.html