Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very, Weird Problem with WinXPSP3, Corrupt Folder or files?

• Please log in to reply

Brickstin

Brickstin

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Just last week I started having a really strange problem and I quite can't figure this out at all, I am completely clueless..

THIS ONLY Happens with one folder out of the entire operating system

It is a folder with videos on it and they are many different file formats, the folder view is in thumbnails view, the folder loads fine but once I open this folder after say a few seconds or so (Sometimes immediately after opening, when I Click the X Button on the window box of my videos in Windows, or even go to file menue and click close.

The windows inside the white space just turns all white, all the icon thumbnails vanish and the menue bar goes blank turning all black letters gray into the bar color.

The window still stays up on my taskbar and it just doesn't close. EVery time this happens i have to use taskmanager to forcefully end windows explorer and restart explorer.

This is really starting to get on my nerves,

What is going on with my operating system? Is it a corrupted folder view system file or something in system32?

or did a DLL. Take a crap on me? I don't know whats going on. x.x

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Change the view to Details and see if the problem goes away. If yes then Windows is having problems generating or rendering the thumbnails. May be a single file that is causing this.

One way to find out is to use Details view to move a group of files to another folder then switch to thumbnail view and see if the problem occurs. If not then the problem is with ont of the moved files. After that it's a process of elimination.

I would sort the files by date, descending in details view then move the newest 10 or 50 or 100, depending on how many there are.

You could also give this a try: How to Clear Your Thumbnail Cache in Windows XP | eHow.com

Brickstin

Brickstin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
So far.. I have been trying this.. and It still doesn ot let me figure it out.. It seems to be randomly happening.. like if I moved file one.. into the test folder.. It doesnt do anything.. then if I refresh the page a few times.. OR go in and out of the folder.. then the test folder screws up.. But I DONT KNOW this until after I have moved in other files.. IT SEEMS TO Me.. that The lock up happens randomly.. I can't seem to figure out Which files they are that is causing the problem because The error only happens randomly.. not at every time I move a file into the test folder.. This isnt helping me.. I Don't know what is going on.. ANother thing is.. for some reason.. THIS problem doesnt happen on my other computer.. THe files are on a Portable HDD Sata Drive.. WHen I hook it up to my server.. I have gone in and out through all files.. within the test folder and the original folder.. I don't get this LOCK Up.. I just.. have NO Freaking clue why this is happening. This has never happened on my gaming rig.. EVER.. I might just have to completely re install windows from complete

I think it's this particular OS.... IT doesn't do this on my other PC.. and they both have SP3... just so odd..

Edited by Brickstin, 08 December 2012 - 07:39 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking? If better then something is starting at boot that is causing the problem.

Advanced startup options - XP
Advanced startup options - Vista
Advanced startup options - Windows 7

Use msconfig to determine what is causing the problem

These are good tutorials on using msconfig in XP, Vista or Windows 7:
How to use msconfig in Windows XP
How to use msconfig in Windows Vista
How to use msconfig in Windows 7

Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.

If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.

Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.