Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1600mhz RAM on a board that doesnt support it

• Please log in to reply

Joe123123

Joe123123

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I have the gigabyte EX58 UD3R rev 1.6 motherboard. and for the past year i had been using the corsair vengeance 12GB 3x4gb 1600MHz ram with 9-9-9-24 timings. However one of my Ram stick has burned out recently so I removed it and everything was working fine, however since I have been playing games I started crashing after about 20 minutes of play. I have an ATI HD7850 gfx card so I wouldn't believe that is the issue. However when i was doing research I stupidly found out that my mobo does not support 1600MHz RAM. and this could be the reason it is so unstable. Is there a way to "underclock" my ram down to 1333MHz instead of its current 1600MHz? Thankyou.

I just submitted a post in /r/techsupport on reddit in hopes of more help, this is what I said.

Hello fellow redditors, I am sad to say that I am in need of help from you guys however I am glad that you are here! I will write the entire story of my computer (you might laugh at some of the stupidity) but I could really do with some help. Roughly 3 years ago i built my first custom build PC with all the best bits I could afford at the time. The only bits to not be upgraded today are the **motherboard (EX58-UD3R rev 1.6 Gigabyte) and the processor, i7.
Last year, (maybe longer) I upgraded my RAM to 12GB with the corsair vengeance 3x4GB 1600MHz. and up untill these past weeks it has all been fine.**
My computer blue screened randomly and then it couldnt boot windows upon restart. Me of course being the self confident computer guy who thinks he knows what hes doing tries to re install windows. That was a no go. It couldn't even install windows, after some research on my ipod i found that i could be "bad ram" I removed all of my ram stick and placed each on in one at a time, sure enough one of them had failed. I successfully and stupidly carried on to re install windows. Now i thought nothing of it and carried on playing far to many games and enjoying my computer however while playing DoTA2 alot I would notice black triangles flashing around occasionally (artifacts I guess?). I was assuming it was more of the ram failing but ignored it because i'm a broke student and cannot afford more. I had no thoughts for it to be the graphics card as I bought a new card for the release of Diablo3 (ATI HD7850 MSI twin frozr). Anyway, this past week Black ops 2 was released. [bleep] hit the fan. I was playing it fine for a couple days then suddenly I start getting these awefull crashes, not even BSoD just frozen game with a 0.5s sound loop that just makes you want to die. So I figure maybe my ram is finally dead. Try it in different ram slots (the one working stick) but the problem still occurs. So i phoned up my friend who I sold my 4gb of ram to and borrowed one of the sticks. The crashing is still happening. I phoned overclockers tech support (where I bought all my parts) and they told me to update my bios... The crashing is still happening. Further research shows that apparently my motherboard does not support 1600MHz RAM. I feel stupid for being stupid, but the RAM was working perfect for more than a year, I have an RMA request in with overclockers to replace the ram however as you read even with completely different working ram the problem still persists. What can I do Please help me I am tearing my hair out!

Edited by Joe123123, 20 November 2012 - 12:31 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
RAM can be too slow, it can't be too fast. Everything else being equal, 1600Mhz RAM should run fine in a board that supports 1333Mhz max.

Are you running the RAM at the recommended voltage? If not, you may need to increase the voltage in your BIOS.

Have you tested the memory? Many BIOS have a built-in RAM test, or you can use memtest86.