Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Data Recovory?

• Please log in to reply

raiden1803

raiden1803

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well.. heres the situation, i had to partitions around 70gigs (each, give or take) and i tried to use partition magic to merge them so i wouldnt loose data off the other.... and now partition magic started throwing errors at me. a 1520 "External attribute header missmatch" error to be exact. i was able to fix it using chkdsk. but it didnt recover my data. so theirs about 70gigs idel's siting on that drive that im trying to recover. whats the best method of going about this, or am i just horribly stuck into a reformat?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to GTG.

Can you confirm what the status of this drive is now?
ie do you have one or two partitions, and what size are they now?
Are they accessible - can you access the files on either?
Have you only lost data off of the one partiton or both?
What file system are you using (FAT32 or NTFS)?
Is this drive your main hard drive (ie with windows on) or is it a physically seperate secondary drive?

raiden1803

raiden1803

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
now its pritty much one big 149gig drive. and its NTFS.. or atleast was, i turned the status to dynamic to try somethin now i cant turn it back to basic :tazz:

Lost2

Lost2

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Is this your primary boot drive or a secondary drive?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, what about your data? Have you lost what was in both of the old partitions or just one of them?

You really shouldn't have converted it I'm afraid. The basic to dynamic conversion process is a one way street. You can convert it back but only by deleting the volumes on the dynamic first. This means losing data.

Also, I have to say, as a warning to others as well, when you have lost data for whatever reason, the more things you try to do to recover it, the less chance you actually have of recovery.

Lost2

Lost2

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Also, I have to say, as a warning to others as well, when you have lost data for whatever reason, the more things you try to do to recover it, the less chance you actually have of recovery.

True, what started my gigabyte binge I'm having trouble with in another thread was a HDD file transfer screw up on my part. Even though I didn't touch the drive (ie. no saving to, no reformatting, no nothing) prior to going on a data recovery quest, I was still only able to recover about half my files through a software recovery (I'm not paying for a hardware recovery). Unfortunately I lost all my music (over 200 albums), the only tracks that recovered was a single Sheryl Crow album. Anyone wanna let me borrow some CD's to rip?

raiden1803

raiden1803

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

OK, what about your data? Have you lost what was in both of the old partitions or just one of them?

View Post

Looks like both partitions

You really shouldn't have converted it I'm afraid. The basic to dynamic conversion process is a one way street. You can convert it back but only by deleting the volumes on the dynamic first. This means losing data.

yeah i realized that when convert to basic was greyed, out . is a reformat the only way to convert it back to basic or am i just loosing the data on this drive either way

Edited by raiden1803, 05 June 2005 - 08:50 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Let me think on that one.
I'm going to bed now, (it's stupid'o'clock here in England) so I'll get back to you later on tomorrow.

Samm

raiden1803

raiden1803

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
okay this is the method im using right now, im using GetDataback NTFS on that drive, so far iv found some of what i need, alot of its corrupted though. If i format that drive (which i think i need to at this point, so im loosing data either way around it) and scan it with GetDataBack again, will it still see those files alowing me to recover some of it?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

okay this is the method im using right now, im using GetDataback NTFS on that drive, so far iv found some of what i need, alot of its corrupted though. If i format that drive (which i think i need to at this point, so im loosing data either way around it) and scan it with GetDataBack again, will it still see those files alowing me to recover some of it?

View Post

No, formatting will make recovery even harder.
You could try these tools for data recovery as well.

File scavenger demo dynamic & basic disks. May not recover them in demo version though, but will tell you what it finds.
http://majorgeeks.co...tall_d1173.html

Active undelete demo (recovers file upto 64K)
http://www.active-undelete.com/