Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"File Recovery" virus/malware ?

• Please log in to reply

kod

kod

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got rid of a malware/virus thing apparently called "file recovery" by finding a registration key to fix the thing. But I didn't find the malware files and delete them. I'm guessing it "found out" because now I turn on my laptop and it only opens to boot manager.
I want to just wipe everything and start over, but I don't have a recovery disc. I thought I could download something online but I don't know my product key. There's a sticker on the laptop that says microsoft but the UPC code (?) is faded beyond reading. Meanwhile the hp sticker is very readable:
model #dv7-3079wm
s/n: CNF938BHGM
p/n: VM241UA#

Any help is appreciated!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Nothing you can do without a good key.

You can try Magic Jellybean Keyfinder to see if it can get the key for you. You would have to slave your drive to another computer, either in a external caddy or use a universal USB drive adapter.

From their FAQ:

Q: Can I retrieve the product key from a non-booting Windows installation?
As long as both Windows versions are 2000, XP, 2003, or Vista, you can use the Load Hive function. You will have to slave the drive and point the Keyfinder to the non-booting Windows directory.

Q: Why did the hive load fail?
1) Are both versions of Windows 2000, XP, 2003, or Vista?
2) Are you pointing it to the dead Windows directory? It will fail if you try to run it on your currently running Windows directory.
3) Are you running the Keyfinder with Administrator rights? Right click on the Keyfinder and click "Run As" and put in the administrator information.