Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which AMD CPU is best for gaming?

• Please log in to reply

Brickstin

Brickstin

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
ok I am looking to build a gaming rig, .. its very hard to find single core CPUS anymore.. I have an fx-57 939... Well..

I play old games and some newer ones but because of the advanced graphics on how games are designed today. I was wondering..

WHICH processor would be best?

This is what I am looking at

AM3 Sockets area

AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ??? which is a locked cores

or a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor which is unlocked and untied and can be over clocked

im just not sure which is the best one.. and the thing about older games is.. they have an issue utilizing all four cores.

So Im trying to get a CPU that can still use all for cores to process older games with out multi core tech into the software of those older games.

I know that the BE Phenom states True Quad-Core Processing

But does the FX Zambezi 4170 have the same tech?

and what is True Quad-Core Processing anyways?

Does this mean the CPU instructions are written to let older apps not using multi core programming to be able to use all four cores regardless if its compatible or not?

Advertisements