Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suddenly slow computer (windows 7)

• Please log in to reply

ktuck0205

ktuck0205

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Operating system: Windows 7 home premium 64-bit
Memory 4096MB
Processor: Intel® Core™ I7-2630QM @ 2.00 GHZ

My laptop was working fine the other day and then suddenly it slowed down. I used Nortons to search for viruses and Malwarebytes, neither program found anything. No changes have been made to the computer to my knowledge. I first noticed issues with chrome & shockwave. I then noticed the lag going even when not using the browser. There seems to also be a delay in typing when a browser is open.

I'm not certain but physical memory seems to be also running high. Total 4076, cached 1619, available 1677 and free 104. Chrome seems to be running the highest usage at 173,000k. I also have had a problem with running nortons unless I restart the computer to run it.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What does Task Manager, Processes tab show you as far as CPU utilization? Anything sucking up a lot of it?
You can also use Process Explorer to get a better handle on what is using resources.
How does it behave if you boot to Safe Mode with Networking (F8 during boot).

ktuck0205

ktuck0205

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Cpu usage stays between 1% and 7%, physical memory 48%

As for processes Chrome seems to be using the most, it runs 10 processes for just one window being open.

In safe mode the computer cpu usage 1% and physical memory 20%, there is also a considerable more amount of free instead of 104 in safe mode it goes to 2971.

Edit: I also ran the Process explorer, I'm not too sure what I am looking at but it says cpu usage 2.65%, commit charge 29.34% Processes 87 and physical usage 48.79%

Edited by ktuck0205, 21 November 2012 - 12:52 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does it run normally in Safe Mode with Networking?

ktuck0205

ktuck0205

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It runs better in safe mode but still not like it was. It seems to act up the most if a web browser is open, it does not matter if it's IE, Chrome or firefox.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You keep saying safe mode, I hope you mean Safe Mode with Networking and using web browsers?

ktuck0205

ktuck0205

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I noticed my last post is a little unclear. It runs better in safe mode. When I was talking about the internet browsers I was talking about normally without safe mode.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If it runs better in Safe Mode with Networking, then most likely something is starting at normal boot that is causing the problem.

See here: How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista or Windows 7