Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast antivirus goes berserk and now my computer is slow [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The TDSS one will probably be the cause .. I am surprised that TDSSKiller did not get it

Advertisements

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
ok, i don't mean to come of as whining or anything but how long do these scans usually last ? its been on 50% for an entire day, its still scanning files but its slowed to a crawl...I should also add that i've been doing an overall scan for almost 2 days.

Edited by mr. mason, 26 November 2012 - 10:06 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK stop the scan .. Do you have a large hard drive. Proceed to the analysis scan that should take no more than 10 minutes

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
its 223 gigabytes.I also got the zip file, how do i attach them to a post ? do you want me to just copy and paste the results or is there another way ?

Edited by mr. mason, 26 November 2012 - 09:52 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The AVP analysis log should be less than 1Mb could you confirm that you have the right zip file.. I will post the details for that one again

Now an analysis scan
Select the Manual Disinfection tab
Press the Gather System Information button
Once done Open the last report saved folder then attach the zip file to your next post zip
The file is located at C:\Users\your name\Desktop\Virus Removal Tool\setup_9.0.0.722_05.01.2011_20-34\LOG\avptool_sysinfo.zip

Posted Image

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Oh no, you asked how big my hard drive was, yeah i have the zip file with the info gathered and its under 1 mb. Attached File  avptool_sysinfo.zip   8.97KB   74 downloads It took me awhile but i noticed the attachment option, sorry for the wait.

Edited by mr. mason, 27 November 2012 - 06:27 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My apologies I can now see the confusion I caused... That is showing clean. Is the system still running slow ? If so is it during boot, after boot or when running an internet programme (I.e browser)

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yeah, right from boot up its still slow. I can barely run anything whether it be windows media player, mozilla firefox or even itunes. The cpu usage is still stuck on 100%. Is it possible that i removed the virus when i did a system restore ? and if i did, did it somehow delete or damage a file causing my computer to slow down ? Something is amiss, i cant even do a proper disk defrag for some reason. I checked the disk for errors and nothing came up. The computer runs fine in safe mode so whatever is slowing everything down happens after a full boot up.I'm rerunning Kaspersky antivirus to focus on startup programs but at this point...i'm getting worried.

Edited by mr. mason, 28 November 2012 - 11:18 PM.

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
1000 apologies for the double post but i finally found the avast virus log and it has the events listed on the day it went berserk. It started on the 20th of this month. and again, sorry for double posting.Attached File  nshield..txt   81.1KB   413 downloads

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that log reveals all .. Crossrider

CLEAR THE BAD TOOLBARS

Download AdwCleaner from here to your desktop
Run AdwCleaner and select Delete

Posted Image

Once done it will ask to reboot, allow this
On reboot a log will be produced please attach that

Advertisements

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
My computer is still slow, but adwcleaner did delete some files. Heres the post boot log.Attached File  AdwCleanerS2(2).txt   1.26KB   89 downloads

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you run the following programme and on completion defragment the drive

Clear Cache/Temp Files
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thats the thing though, when i try to run a defrag it stops analyzing at 23%. I've thought of using a third party one but i don't know if any are safe.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Puran defrag is safe but when you install it select custom mode and deny any offers of toolbars and the like.

This does have a boot defragment option

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
defragged and ran that scan. It sorted my disk and deleted the temp files...and its still slow. I cant even load itunes without it freezing now.

Edited by mr. mason, 01 December 2012 - 12:33 AM.