Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Avast antivirus goes berserk and now my computer is slow [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sorry for the format,it wouldnt let me copy it any other way. And one more thing, something odd is going on with the amount of free space on my hard drive, last time i checked it last night and it said 30 gb which i dont get because i had over 40 the previous night and this morning it went back to normal. Why is the amount fluxuating ?
on
Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is TI102605W0F. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)... 227072 file records processed. File verification completed. 574 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 44 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)... 287304 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)... 227072 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 89 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 89 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 89 unused security descriptors. Security descriptor verification completed. 30117 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 34699512 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)... 227056 files processed. File data verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)... 11483714 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. 234120191 KB total disk space. 187779924 KB in 121138 files. 69644 KB in 30118 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 335767 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 45934856 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 58530047 total allocation units on disk. 11483714 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 77 03 00 e4 4e 02 00 56 13 04 00 00 00 00 00 .w...N..V....... ac 13 00 00 2c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....,........... e0 ee 13 00 50 01 13 00 50 01 13 00 00 00 13 00 ....P...P....... Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

Edited by mr. mason, 09 December 2012 - 02:18 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system

This is the only real error found and it has corrected it

And one more thing, something odd is going on with the amount of free space on my hard drive, last time i checked it last night and it said 30 gb which i dont get because i had over 40 the previous night and this morning it went back to normal. Why is the amount fluxuating ?

That may be explained by temp internet files, however, you would need to empty them to regain the space.. So 'tis a bit of a mystery

I will neeed to research the defrag freeze a little deeper. Bear with me on this

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Alright, cool. Thank you for being patient on your end too.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you turn off your wireless and see if that lets the defrag complete

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I tried it and it still freezes at 23% analyzing.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ta it was worth a shot ... OK back to the search and research

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets try it from the command line

Click on the Start Orb and select All Programs, then Accessories, then right click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator"
Type

Defrag C: /v

When it runs it will give a commentary as it is going if it freezes then the file being defragmented will be the last one shown
Could you let me know what file it is

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
It gets stuck on invoking defragmentation.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK a bit more data to check on

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets reinstall the defragment tool completely.
Locate the file dfrg.inf in the /windows/inf/ directory.
Right-click it and select Install from the menu.

Advertisements

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
sorry for the late reply, i don't have access to my laptop right this second but i will in a few hours. I'm just posting this so the thread doesn't get locked.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem, if I should do the numpty move and close then just shoot me a PM

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Its odd, i just checed the entire directory and the install file you asked me to check isn't there...

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Should be there, although saying that I could not locate it on my system

Lets try the following

a. Go to "Start > Run" on your computer.
b. Type (or copy/paste) rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\dfrg.inf and press "Enter"
3. Click "OK" to make the program automatically reinstall itself.

If that fails then do the following

a. Go to Start >All Programs>Accessories>Right Click on Command Prompt> select "Run As Administrator"
b. At command prompt, type "regsvr32 dfrgsnap.dll" and hit "Enter."
c. Type regsvr32 dfrgui.dll and hit "Enter." This will reinstall any missing defragger files.

mr. mason

mr. mason

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Odd, i couldn't do the first option because the start menu doesn't have a run program option in win 7 i think, i tried the second method and it said that dfrgui.dll was missing.