Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot into vista 64 sp 2.

• Please log in to reply

malky

malky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
thanks phillpower2,

is it worth trying to see if i can fix anything or try bootfix/mbr on the old hdd with puppy ?? given that there is a read fault on the hdd.

I can only imagine that the failure is in the boot x section of the disk, as partitions c and k work just fine.

regards

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
You are welcome malky :thumbsup:

You may be able to resolve this and without any financial outlay ( my favourite way :D ) please see the canned SFC directions below;

Go to Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (not always required).
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's a pretty big file, so upload it to http://flyupload.in/ and then post download link here.

There is an alternative way for running SFC and if need be I will provide the directions but hopefully that will not be required.

NB: If it transpires that the HDD has bad sectors on it the drive cannot be trusted as more will follow.

malky

malky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
puppy is up and running.

I cant mount the partion, input out put error. its running it with the inbuilt kernal ntfs driver.

so alas i can not get to cmd prompt to run sfc. i also can not exit to prompt with out an error.

i guess hdd is finished. I got all the data off though (240gb)just the files, music photos etc.

thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

I am pleased that you have been able to secure your data off the HDD, if there is nothing else on the drive that you require you could wipe the drive with DBAN to see if it cleans up the drive so that it can be used for additional storage space (only if 100% good though) http://www.dban.org/ once done you can check the health of the HDD, see below;

Go to Start then to Run/Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see your hard drive.
Take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

malky

malky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks phillpower2,

But i think we'll leave it there, there are also ram port issues on this machine which i did overcome but they'll always be there. The only tools i'll be using on this drive in the future are a hammer and a blow torch :)

Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
You are welcome malky and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

If we can help with anything else please feel free to give us a shout.