Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost disk space after system rebuild?

• Please log in to reply

spuloo

spuloo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys. I'm new here, but I've been jostling with a problem since my rebuild.

Basically, I rebuilt a new system keeping only the SSD from my last computer.

Setup is rampage 4 extreme mb, i7-3930k cpu, 16 gb patiot viper extreme d4 ram, evga gtx 670 4gb gpu, and the disk in question is an intel m-25 g2 80 gb ssd.

First thing I did was do a full format of the drive. Then I built the system and set it up a few months ago. I remember it seemed weird to me after a clean windows 7 64bit prof install that it took up so much space. I don't remember how much space it took up, but I remember sort of questioning it. But I've been rolling with the system. Good results in overclock performance and reliability so far. The only thing is, I've got a good amount of programs installed, and only one game, and I'm running out of space on my system drive.

So I opened up explorer and went to the C drive. There are only folders, so I decided to check the math based on the given data size through propreties on each folder. The total I came up with was 38 gigs... But if I check the used disk space by clicking on the popertied for the C drive, it says there is 64 gigs of used space. I don't have anything vital - just different freeware stuff (openoffice, ccleaner, etc) and skyrim which can be reinstalled if truly need-be.

Any help would be appreciated. Any programs you know of to free up this space or find the 26 gigs of hidden data? I've built computers before, but never had any specialized training in it. Although, I do work in the electrical field and would rate my ability intermediate on hardware, and beginner in software. But as long as instructions are specific, I should be able to perform most any task. Not sure if this is related, but even after format and fresh install, I am being prompted at bootup to choose which operating system to start up. There are two choices, both being "windows 7."

Thanks.

Advertisements

spuloo

spuloo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, So I move the pagefile, which was a pretty substantial size, to another disk, and that freed up 15.6 gigs. I set it so it has the 800 mb on the system disk for system dump or whatever, but I don't see exceeding my 16gb 2133 mhz bandwidth, so I'm gonna call that good.

I'm still missing another 10.4 gigs though. Any ideas?

Edited by spuloo, 23 November 2012 - 10:57 PM.