Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NEED ON INTERNET, INSTALL WIRELESS DRIVER

• Please log in to reply

troyboy

troyboy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
REFORMATTED MY VOSTRO 1000, ONLY HAD XP-PRO. DISK. NEEDLESS TO SAY,NONE OF MY CARDS ARE WORKING,DUE TO NO DRIVERS. I HAVE A 1390 WIRELESS MINI CARD, JUST NEED DRIVER (FREE). ONCE I CAN ESTABLISH INTERNET ACCESS ABILITY , I CAN DOWNLOAD REST OF DRIVERS( SOUND,ETHERNET,MODEM,ETC........) ON ANOTHER P.C.( APPLE POWER BOOK) I TRIED DOWNLOADING A WIRELESS DRIVER TO A THUMB DRIVE, THAN TRANSFERED, IT LOADED,BUT DID NOT TURN ON MY WIRELESS CARD........

PLEASE......... PLEASE......... I JUST NEED TO GET MY WIRELESS CARD TO WORK........ THANKS...

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts
Hi,

Is the wireless card the one built-in on the machine?

If you check the back of your Dell machine you probably will find the Service Tag or eventually in other location on the machine.
Go to the Dell Support page http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/ and enter the Service Tag this will give you access to all the drivers specific for the machine you have.

By the way, please don't type all caps because its considered yelling on the Internet...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
@ SleepyDude

Please excuse my interjection here but you should know that troyboy post the same topic November 17th, for steps already taken please see http://www.geekstogo...22#entry2228822

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts
Hi Phillpower2,

Thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup:

Lets see if the user follow the advice to use the Service Tag because Dell will supply the exact drivers needed to the machine the user have, and yes it should install first the Chipset driver if available (I always do this first).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,779 posts
You are welcome SleepyDude :thumbsup:

troyboy

troyboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks SleepyDude, My Service Tag Is worn Off, But I Did Take Lap Top Apart. The Wireless Mini Card(1390) Looks Like It Was Added And Not Internal.
I Did Run An Internal Device Finder Program, And That Is How I Found That It Was A 1390 mini card. I Tried Loading The Driver That I loaded On Another Laptop
Onto A Thumb Drive. Transferred, Ran But To No Avail. And phillpower2 Is Correct, I Did Post Earlier, But Nothing Seemed To Work. Is It Possible To Load Only
Wireless Driver , And Than Get My Computer Going To Download Remaining Drivers????????

Thanks Again For Your Assistance, troyboy :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If I may add something. If you go to Dell's site they have the option to say you don't know your tag number and it will scan the system. Can you possibly run a wire to your router or modem and try to connect that way?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts
Hi Tryboy,

If I'm not mistaken if you enter the BIOS you will found the Service Tag.
About the wireless card, in many laptops the card can be removed because isn't part of the motherboard.

To help you to locate the correct driver for you please take this steps:
  • Open Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc)
  • right click the Network Adapter corresponding to the wireless card
  • click Properties > Tab Details > On the Property box select Device Instance Id
  • Copy & Paste the values on the box to your Reply

Note: In some case the device could be listed on the Other Devices category instead of Network Adapters list.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
All laptop wireless devices are add-ons, a small card that plugs into a slot in the mother board.

You Vostro 1000 drivers are here: Drivers and Downloads

Vostro1000.jpg