Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Better CPU or Dedicated GPU

• Please log in to reply

nbuddy

nbuddy

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello,

Im getting an AIO HP for my parents for Christmas and can't decide on what to get them. They do basic computing but also want this computer to last for a few years. All of these combos are within $100 of each other. What do yall think is the best choice? I cant decide if the dedicated GPU is worth it compared to the Integrated Intel graphics. Im leaning towards just the i5-3330S but wanted to get yalls input.

i5-3330S + 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7450A

i5-3450S + Integrated graphics - Intel® HD

i7-3770S + Integrated graphics - Intel® HD

Thanks ahead of time and happy holidays!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello nbuddy

i5-3450S + Integrated graphics - Intel® HD

If this is the least expensive for the intended use it is the better option as the improvement in performance of the i7-3770S + Integrated graphics - Intel® HD is minimal, see http://ark.intel.com/products/65512 and http://ark.intel.com/products/65524 overall though the i5-3330S + 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7450A would provide the better video quality due to the dedicated VRam, links to the actual AIOs would help so we could see how much system memory is installed as the more Ram the better the video quality as that is where the integrated video chip gets it`s support from.

nbuddy

nbuddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi phillpower2 and thanks for the reply.

I'm on my phone so I will try and get the links but the i7 has 8gb while the i5 options have 6gb. The goal was under $1000 so any recommendations are welcome. Like I mentioned, they want this to last so they don't want to go too cheap.

Here's the i7. After coupon, it comes out to $975.
http://www.shopping....-One-Desktop-PC

I believe this is the link for the i5.
http://www.shopping....-One-Desktop-PC

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
$975 for the i7 is a good price but being honest the i5-3330S model will more than suffice, I note that the 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7450A is an upgrade that you have to pay an additional fee for.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

nbuddy

nbuddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thanks again!

So you dont think its necessary to add the 1GB AMD Radeon HD 7450A to the i5-3330S?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
My honest opinion is that it is an unnecessary expense, if the computer was to be used for any form of gaming or streaming videos then yes a 1GB video chip would help performance, the intended use is lightweight like that of the millions of netbooks and notebooks around the world many of which rely on system memory to get a half decent display.

Again if you check the performance of the i5-3330S against the alternative two options I think that you will agree that the additional $100 and $200s respectively are not justifiable http://ark.intel.com...-up-to-3_20-GHz

FlintIronStagg 11-25-2012 at 03:04:04 AM

looniam wrote :

forget the 7450A it is non the better than the intel HD 2500 on those ivy i5s.

THANK YOU
finally someone that speaks some sense
I said earlier the i5+integrated will keep them happy for a long time, esp. cause they are light computing and browsing

I see that your topic post on another forum brought some mixed opinions http://www.tomshardw...etter-dedicated At the end of the day the decision is yours but do you feel that posting on two forums has helped or hindered your decision.

nbuddy

nbuddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Ended up ordering the i5-3330S with integrated!

I also feel that posting on another site has helped in my decision process. I have always been an advocate for getting as many different view points on something and then going from there. At the time, I also did not know when the coupon would expire so I was looking for a quick answer as well. I want to thank you again for your quick responses as well!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

I hope that the computer serves your parents well for many years to come and please let us know what you think of the AIOs performance.

NB: The reason that I asked about posting on more than one forum is because it is normally not recommended as it can lead to conflicting advice and if something happened to go wrong it would not look too good for anyone involved.

RichMudd

RichMudd

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You could try a APU (GPU CPU combo). I have an AMD Quad-core APU in my computer, it's great! I do a lot of 3D graphics and designs and it is very labor intensive on the CPU and GPU. Once I got a new motherboard and upgraded to an APU, the render time was dramatically cut down. Plus, with certain graphics cards they will dual link and work together using the onboard graphic as well as the card.
I went to this site to help me figure out what kind of motherboard to buy. It was a lot of help. Best Motherboard Reviews

Edited by RichMudd, 26 November 2012 - 04:58 PM.

Wald0

Wald0

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If it is just basic computing for your parents than why not try the Llano series from AMD. They have intergrated graphics that are a match for the intel integrated graphics and the build will be slightly cheaper for you as well. If your parents were doing more labor intensive computing than I would suggest what you have above but for basic definitely the Llano chip series.