Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows xp slowed down to nothing

• Please log in to reply

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I have run Seagate's SeaTools and everything checks out OK with the hard drive. Where do we go next??

Some of my MSOffice applications are still slow to open. IE and Firefox seem to vary in and out with some fast starts and some very slow ones.

Hope to hear from you soon. Things are somewhat improved. I may still have something running on the system that is interfering. Malware or a virus but cannot find eveidence of it. I tried Malwarebytes and it just ties up my CPU. Still do not know what to do about SBAMSvc.exe How can I get rid of this or is it needed.

Tonight it is taking forever for IE and firefox to open as well as MS Office programs.

Further frustrated as nothing seems to help. Do I have a malware or viurs problem?

Thanks

Rick

Edited by RickMath, 10 December 2012 - 11:56 PM.

Advertisements

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Hi Everyone

After hours of messing around trying to figure out what the SBAMSvc.exe was I finally found that was a Lavasoft Antivirus program. After I removed it (which was not easy) thing have gottne a lot better.

This is not the first time the Lavasoft has caused a problem. I would not recommend their stuff to anyone. Their applications tie up your CPU big time.

So for now we are OK and my COMPAC will not be headed for the dumpster. All that aside I would never buy a COMPAC or HP computer again. They doctor windows and screw things up.

So I will see how things go for a few days and be back. Thanks for all your help and willingness to stick with me through all this.

Geeks to Go are wonderful!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Rick

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That's very good news, and good work on your part. Thanks for letting us know as it may help someone else.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Thanks for your followup. Not what many would do. Without your help I never would have isolated this problem. Thanks also for working with me.

Everyting seems to be well now. Hopoe to get help with future issues if they occur.

Once again you guys are great!!!!

:thumbsup:

Rick