Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 will not reboot. Please help! [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Well the system restore did not work. The computer is unable to start. The startup repair isn't working. I guess I need to do a clean install?
Ugh! Oh, well, thank goodness for Carbonite. Are you able to walk me through the process?

Advertisements

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Do I need to do a clean install of operating system or do I need to dig into my savings and buy new computer?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Do I need to do a clean install of operating system or do I need to dig into my savings and buy new computer?

No just a clean install should do unless there are hardware issues.

What is the make and model of your computer and we will do the factory reset?

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Gateway ZX4300 all-in-one

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Please make sure you have all the files you want backed up and the serial numbers and installers for any programs you have added since you purchased the computer.

Now one more thing before going forward with a factory reset. You mentioned Carbonite, do you have the version with image backup? If you do we could restore an image to your hard drive that is more recent than doing this factory restore.

Here is the Gateway factory reset procedure.

You want to watch the video all the way through before following the written directions.

Once it is finished you will want to do Windows updates but before doing all of that please do the following so I can direct you to the priority updates:

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select Scan All Users
  • Select Lop Check and Purity Check
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    services.*
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Post both logs

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
No I don't have the image backup version of Carbonite. Is there anyway you can get me back online with the old computer to access some .exe files to back up?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Yes there is:

Go here to make a bootable Puppy Linux to recover files. Now if you are going after standalone exe files that may work but if you are going after programs you need the installer not just an exe file. Note the instructions to make a bootable USB drive.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Lets also try system restore from the recovery

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
  • Select System Restore
  • Click Next
  • Check Show more restore points
  • You should have some additional restore points prior to 11 19 infact you should have several on 11 12 2012.
  • Select one of them and try to reboot after it restores.

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I give up. I don't understand these directions at all and I don't know how to keep from backing up infected files. Are the files that are backed up on Carbonite infected or is it okay to use them after factory reset? I watched the video for the factory reset and it says I need a recovery CD. I really am lost and not sure where to go from here.

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Now the earliest system restore point is 11/25/12. :(

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Are the files that are backed up on Carbonite infected or is it okay to use them after factory reset?

Not necessarily.

To do the factory reset here are the directions, no CD is required.

To start the system recovery:

• Restart the computer.
  • When the Gateway logo appears on the screen, press the left Alt, and the F10 keys.
  • If you are prompted with a Microsoft Windows boot screen, press the Enter key.
  • After the Acer eRecovery Management application has loaded, select your restore type.
  • Read the notice, and then click Next when you are ready.
  • Click Next to begin the restore process. The restore can take anywhere fom 10 minutes up to an hour.
  • Once the restore is complete your computer will reboot. Upon rebooting it will load Windows and start installing your drivers and software. Your computer will reboot several times during this process. After everything is complete your computer will be like it was when you first purchased it.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
OK you were asking about Puppy Linux and there is a way to make a bootable USB version.

In the directions for Puppy Linux you can see this:

UPDATED April 20, 2012

Use Puppy Linux Live CD to Recover Your Data:

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:[list]Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso)
Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/

That last line I quoted is a link to how to make a USB version ;)

You asked about exe files, what exe files do you want to save?

Regards,

CompCav

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I can't make a rebootable CD because I cannot access internet from my computer.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
You can make a bootable USB drive using your other machine. Click on the words above that say:

http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/ Then go to step 2 to downnload the Universal USB installer. Use the Puppy Linux lupu-528.004.iso shown above instead of lupu-5.1.1iso.

It will convert the iso into a bootable Puppy Linux on your USB drive.

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I am still lost. Where do I get Puppy linux?