Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 7 will not reboot. Please help! [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I know I made them when I purchased the computer because I always do; however, I cannot find them. I ordered more online today from Gateway. :(
I guess no luck with the repair install? I'm so bummed.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,449 posts

I guess no luck with the repair install? I'm so bummed.

This will require patience to get a response from them. We are all volunteers and while I have responded frequently each day many of our team are on only a couple of times a day and some people being helped get no more than two or three responses per day. I know your bummed but we are trying to help, the level of infection and the damage to your operating system were significant and we are doing our best to help you with the constraints that have popped up along the way. :)

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Please don't misunderstand me. I GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!! You have been amazing and patient with me. I have ordered the Recovery CDs from Gateway and will try them when they arrive. I will keep an eye out for your posts. Thank you so very much for all your help. :) :) :)
I will make a donation to the site in the morning. :)

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,449 posts
Do you have any other ATI items in your programs list?

One might be ATI catalyst for example.

Please list all the ATI items you have in your programs list in your next post.

Regards,

CompCav

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Actually ATI catalyst was one of the 2 programs I was told to uninstall (along with itunes). No more ATI programs listed.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,449 posts
We can try to install the video drivers that are on the website for Gateway.

Please go here and download the vga driver onto your good computer.

Then extract the folder to your desktop on the good computer and copy the folder that is extracted onto the USB drive and take it over and place it on the sick computer desktop.

Click the folder to open it. There will be several subfolders and a few files.

Then double click setup and follow the prompts to install the driver.

After it installs reboot and see if you can get into normal mode.

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
YESSSS!!!! Normal mode is back. Now when I do the windows repair and it asks me to unintall ATI, what should I do?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,449 posts
We could be in a catch 22, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Let's do this first:

OK next we will check the disc and then the file structure

• On the desktop click the My Computer icon
  • Right click your main drive (I am on C) and select properties
  • Select the tools tab
  • Select error checking
  • Place a tick in both boxes
  • Press start
  • You will get a warning that it needs to reboot to continue
  • Allow it to do so

Posted Image

Once completed

Try the repair again and see if it asks the same question about ATI.

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Okay, I am following your instructions. Look it will take a while. Has been an hour and it is only 12% complete with the checking process. Will get back to you later and let you know what is going on. Thanks so much!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,449 posts
:thumbsup:

Advertisements

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Oh well...
When I try to run the setup file now after making the USB, I get the following error message in a dialog box:
"seup.exe The ordinal 383 could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll."

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,449 posts
What step are you on when this happens?

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Step 5, run setup. I restarted the computer again and this time got to the compatibility phase (step 12) and got the following message:

"These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading."

The 2 programs are ATI CATALYST Install Manager and ATI Catalyst Control Center. Should I proceed this time without uninstalling them and then wait and uninstall them after the repair?
Miki

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,449 posts
I just received some information on this issue from one of our tech experts. Here is what is happening:

Go ahead and uninstall all the ATI listed again. Then here is what is happening:

When you boot without the video drivers it looks like safe mode but it is not safe mode.

Here are two ways we can verify that it is not safe mode:

1. When the computer starts to boot and you get the Gateway splash screen start tapping F8 (just like you do to run Farbar) but select Normal mode and hit enter.

2. Look in the four corners of the screen if it is in safe mode then it has to say Safe Mode in small print in all four corners.

Once you have verified it is not in safe mode but just looks like safe mode then you can continue with the Repair Install

Regards,

CompCav

mikison

mikison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
For some reason this post just now came through from you. Anyway, I went ahead with the repair, figuring I could uninstall/install the ATI later if necessary. The repair install is now complete. Wondering what the next step is: install updates, run AVG? I have not clicked on any programs because I want to wait until I hear from you. :)