Is there anything else I should do to make sure no more malware is on computer?
Some of my tools are still on the machine so we need to remove them and close:
Subject to no further problems
I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems
The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:
- Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following
- Then click the Run Fix button at the top
- Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
- Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
- In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall (Notice the space between the "x" and "/") then click OK
- Follow the prompts on the screen
- A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled
and hit the Cleanup
button. It will remove all the programs we have used plus itself.
We will now confirm that your hidden files are set to that, as some of the tools I use will change that
SPRING CLEANTo manually create a new Restore Point
- Click Start.
- Open My Computer.
- Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
- Select the View Tab.
- Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Do not show hidden files and folders.
- Click Yes to confirm.
- Click OK.
Now we can purge the infected ones
- Go to Control Panel and select System
- Select System
- On the left select System Protection and accept the warning if you get one
- Select System Protection Tab
- Select Create at the bottom
- Type in a name i.e. Clean
- Select Create
- GoStart > All programs > Accessories > system tools
- Right click Disc cleanup and select run as administrator
- Select Your main drive and accept the warning if you get one
- For a few moments the system will make some calculations
- Select the More Options tab
- In the System Restore and Shadow Backups select Clean up
- Select Delete on the pop up
- Select OK
- Select Delete
Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs: Malwarebytes
. Update and run weekly to keep your system clean
Download and install FileHippo update checker
and run it monthly it will show you which programs on your system need updating and give a download link
It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.
To keep your operating system up to date visit
To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read our little guide How did I get infected in the first place ?
In addition for you since you use this for your transcription I would recommend you use an external USB hard drive for backup, if you are mission critical, even two and alternate making image backups to them. You can use the Windows 7 image backup that is built in or try some one of these:EaseUS Diskcopy
- and it has been used also by GTG personnel with success cloning XP and Windows 7 for training on GTG.
If you have a Seagate drive you can download and use Disk Wizard
once on this page you click the download finder and plug in the information on your drive to download the software. The instructions in a video slide show are here
If you have a Western Digital drive you can download and use Acronis True Image WD Edition Software,
you can download the program and there is a user manual also available.
By copying an image you can restore the whole drive to a previous state without all the gyrations we had to go through this time.
Also you need to make a recovery disk now and keep it in a safe place:
and follow the directions to make the disk.