Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Changing admin passw on Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

Promojo

Promojo

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi again

How do you change the recovery console administration password? The problem is I cannot access Windows XP, because of another problem, and thus have to be able to access the Recovey Console. Leaving the admin password blanked worked for me but I accidently typed a "1" in there and now everytime I get to the "enter admin password" it gives me a "wrong password" message no matter what I do even if I leave it blank.
Check out my earlier post to find out more. No - one has replied to it yet

Thanks

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok, you say you have an earlier post, but you dont give a link so i have to ask, can you get into safe mode?

(by the way, there is no way to change the password from the recovery console, if thats what your asking.) There are ways to change the password, but i think the administrators of this forum dont want this info to be given out for security reasons.

Promojo

Promojo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you and yes, I understand, but what to do now. The microsoft page gives a solution but you need to log onto windows as administrator. I successfully used the recovery console about 5 times by just pushing enter at password (and had to start over to try and fix my original problem). The last time I ran the console I accidently pressed "1" at the password prompt, thinking it was asking what operating system I want to edit. Now I am stuffed because it wont accept even a blank entry or just pushing enter.

here is my previous link
http://www.geekstogo...lem-t32440.html

My original problem was that my windows XP won't start up for some reason (not even safe mode) because the error said "cannot find c:\windows\system32\config\software.

I got some help here on how to fix it, but I still have to do a edit in the recovery console, which I no longer can acces

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Yes, youd have to get into the recovery console to do an MS registry restore proceedure. Since you cant get into the recovery console and im not giving you the answer to where to find a password reset utility, you are on your own there. The only other possible solution would be to build a rescue disk, boot from it and repair the registry. My opinoin for the best rescue disk is barts PE. Link:

http://www.reatogo.de/

However, it takes time to build and is not easy. Youd also have to add certain utilities to this rescue disk to have access to the registry and such. I would not be able to help you with this for free because of the time involved.

Edited by djgotee, 05 June 2005 - 09:07 PM.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
And i dont think it would be ethical and cant charge you for this help according to what i think the rules of this forum are.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Ever think about using "1" for the password again??

Murray