Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Keeps Rebooting Itself Randomly

• Please log in to reply

writertiff

writertiff

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I work from home and my PC is the key to my livelihood.

Yesterday my PC started randomly rebooting itself. I'm using Google Chrome and all of a sudden it will just restart in the middle of me working or surfing for research.

I'm not very tech savvy so you'll need to walk me through whatever I need to do. I know I have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

Please help :(

Thanks!
Tiff

Advertisements

writertiff

writertiff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
More info if it helps anyone know how to help me here. I found online where it said you could disable the automatic restart to find out what was going wrong. So I went to Control Panel, System Properties - Advanced - Start up and Recovery and unchecked automatically restart from system failure. I then saved and exited.

The computer worked fine for a day.

Then this morning it suddenly gave me a blue screen and said something about Windows shutting down to prevent damage. It said to check to be sure I have adequate disk space, check the driver updates if a driver is identified in the Stop message.

Well here was the stop message:

Stop oxoooooo8e (oxc0000005, oxbf848897, oxaf825ae4, oxoooooooo)
Win 32k.sys address bf848897 base at bf8000000 data setup 508505c1

Does this help?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Stop 0X0000008E is usually caused by defective memory. Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that. An overnight run is even better.

writertiff

writertiff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Quick question before I do it - does it matter if my CD burner doesn't work? It broke a long time ago. I know you said I won't be literally burning it onto a CD so hopefully it won't matter.
Thanks!
Tiff ;)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Yes, you do burn a CD, just not burn the .iso file you download to the CD. Use ImgBurn as I recommended and use the .iso file as input. You can do this on another computer, doesn't have to be on the one you want to check out.

writertiff

writertiff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Shoot I don't have a way to burn it :(

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
The alternative method is to remove half the memory then test. If okay then what you removed is bad. If it still fails swap the memory and test again.

writertiff

writertiff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks! I asked my hubby about it. He just added four 1gb sticks of memory so I'll see if it ends up helping or not.