Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System freezes attempting to use USB connected devices

• Please log in to reply

RustyWrex

RustyWrex

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Background and Symptoms:
After downloading Iolo Technologies 'System Mechanic' V11. (Previously ran Sys. Mech. V10) I cleaned up the Registry, updated drivers, de-fragmented memory and hard disks. Everything appeared to run successfully. No errors or warnings from System Mech.
Attempted to use my printer (Epson SX215) after. Immediately froze the system i.e. locked out unable to do anything. Checked printer driver and tried load of driver from Epson site. Reported I had latest driver. Used Control Panel and 'System' icon to check drivers. Reported drivers running O K.
Iolo Tech. suggested running 'SafetyNet'function to roll back Registry and driver updates. Did this; no change in symptoms. Used digital camera as additional device to check USB ports. Same result i.e. sys locked up when camera activated to upload pictures.
Should also explain stupid brain failure and not previously dealing with a Windows (XP) startup warning after using Sys. Mech V10 some time ago to remove unused startup programs ?? if my memory is correct). Warning msg. at startup as follows (verbatim as warning msg. appears): keyhook.exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point ?ReadKeyString@CSiSReg@@SAHADOHOPAUKEY_@@K@Z could not be located in the dynamic link librarySiSBase.dll.
This msg still appears on screen at startup time when startup has completed.

Have used Sys. Mech. to see what it reported as I wrote this topic, to see what it said. Reported registry errors, fragmented memory and disk files. Also disk errors so did a repair on 'C' and my other 'F' hard drive. Said it found no errors.
Have run out of brain cells to attempt fix myself.
Is this likely to need a full 'Windows Repair' job or less drastic fix e.g. repair of USB interface ports driver(s)/ other?

Edited by RustyWrex, 26 November 2012 - 08:32 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
:welcome: RustyWrex

Couple of questions if I may;
Have you checked the device manager for any yellow ! or red Xs.
Do you have an XP or system restore disk for the computer.

Regarding the use of software such as 'System Mechanic' I strongly suggest that you refrain from using such programs as they can and often do render your computer unstable or in a worse case scenario inoperable, for further guidance see http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

RustyWrex

RustyWrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Dear Phillpower2
Many thanks for your reply and words of wisdom.
First, I have my original Windows XP install CD (with SP2included)
Can't say I had got as far as thinking clearly about System Mechanic's actions but since I goofed using their 'clean up unused startup (I think ?) programs' using V10 of Sys. Mech. and then failed dismally to rollback so the 'keyhook' dll was retained as appears to be necessary / certainly checked for, I have avoided that Sys. Mech. routine like the plague.
I had even got around to vaguely wondering what it did to the tables held in the Registry as -- from my days long ago when there used to be things called 'mini computers' e.g. Honeywell 'Level 6'-- a system configuration was held on a T.User file which performed a similar function.
I had even got so far as to wonder just how good -- or otherwise -- Sys. Mech. might be.
The blog you pointed me to says it all! So my instinct that a full 'Windows Repair' might be needed appears not to be far off the mark.
I have stopped using proprietary anti virus software e.g. Macafee owing to the comments / warning Spybot flags up about them, but it seems I'm still too trusting for my own good.
Thanks again for your help; much appreciated. I hope you can help me out of the hole I've climbed into.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hello RustyWrex

It is good that you have your XP disk but can I ask if you also have the original product key that it was provided with, just in case it is required later.

Anyhow first suggestion is to try running SFC, "how to" below;

Go to Start and then to Run
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click[b] OK [/b
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (not always required).
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.

If the issue is not then resolved please see the XP repair install provided courtesy of admin @ http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

Regarding AV software, consider using Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials as both are very good, light on system resources (unlike certain others) and available free.

RustyWrex

RustyWrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Many Thanks Phillpower2,
Had a feeling you would ask if I have my XP key! Unfortunately I can't find it. Presumably (?) Microsoft must have it somewhere because I recall registering when I first installed XP. Assume also I couldn't get automatic XP updates as I do if I wasn't 'known' to MS.
On a more constructive note for the moment, I have done as you indicated and run sfc -- which needed me to load the CD. So assume there must be some system file errors (hardly a surprise given what you said about third party Registry 'frigging' S/W)
Being ultra cautious when the menu screen loaded (from the XP CD) asking what I wanted to do -- e.g. Load Windows XP. Presumably that would take me back to the beginning i.e. 'raw' XP with SP2 so I assume I need to respond differently as we're attempting to (only) correct the file system at the moment?
Apologies for being pedantic but I'm keen to observe the first law of holes; if you're in one don't dig it deeper. Perhaps you can give me further 'Braille' directions, as I get the feeling we have reached the stage where we find out how much Sys. Mech. has screwed things up -- assuming that may be the case?
Onwards and upwards
'Rusty'

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
To find your product key go to computer then system properties then at the bottem it should show your product key

Alternative SFC guidance provided courtesy of rshaffer61;

Place the XP disk in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:

• Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)
SFC - Which stands for System File Checker retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the Revised and Simplified: :thumbsup:

RustyWrex

RustyWrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Many thanks to you and rshaffer61. Sys. File Chkr. run successfully and cleanly as directed.
Checked USB connected camera -- fault still remains i.e. cursor / system freezes when system 'sees' device coming online.
Next step?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hello RustyWrex

I asked in my reply #2

Have you checked the device manager for any yellow ! or red Xs.

What is the answer please.

Did you manage to find your product key using the guidance that I provided.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

RustyWrex

RustyWrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry I missed your question. I have now been to Device Drivers via Control Panel--> System Resources ---> Hardware---> Device Driver. I have checked everything on my system and in particular all the USB Controllers. No errors reported. None reported anywhere else.
Have Key via Control Panel--->General---->Registered to---->Key.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup: I am pleased that you have managed to obtain your product key (please make a note of it and keep it in a secure place).

Before I suggest a Repair installation have you tried Last Known Good Configuration by tapping F8 on boot and when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears used the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration.

RustyWrex

RustyWrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Key duly noted and with the CD.
No, haven't tried last known good config. I'm learning a lot of new things! That will be 'to do' tomorrow.
All this is taking me back to days when I used to trouble-shoot hardware and delve into operating systems down to the bit level -- but we're talking about times when big chips had may be a couple of hundred gates on them!
Many thanks and will be back to you tomorrow.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
:thumbsup:

It may be Saturday 8 AM UK time before I am able to respond as I have other commitments for a few hrs tomorrow.

NB: I recall upgrading an Amiga A600 to 2MB and being the envy of my friends :lol:

RustyWrex

RustyWrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello -- again Phillpower2
I haven't been ignoring you. The reason I didn't get back to you was my machine died. I.e. it would not boot up at all. A local 'shop' ran diagnostics and did all they could to find out exactly what the problem was but something on the motherboard had died.
Hence new motherboard. As my system was a 'workshop' job I got pushed to the back of the queue when onsite support requests came in. Hence it took me 3weeks to get it back i.e. 21st December to actually have a working -- ish system. But as they reloaded the system everything of my old XP config. including MS Office hence email etc.got wiped.
So spent a nightmare week trying to get back online; reloading MS Office (once I found the CD!)etc.
Am beginning to get organized again -- slowly. All taken as a big wake up call. Have now got a laptop (donated by a very good friend) and a wifi N/W and am setting up a workgroup so I can get access to this desktop. Don't intend to be caught the same way again. Apart from the time 'off air' I can't afford to lose a book of nearly 120,000 words -- so far -- I'm writing.That at least was / is properly backed up. I guess the next step is going to be a network back up drive.
So this is why I haven't replied.
Many thanks for all your very knowledgeable help. Very much appreciated.
'Rusty'

Edited by RustyWrex, 30 December 2012 - 08:27 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Hello RustyWrex

Sorry to hear that the issue was terminal and that you lost all of your data.

I am glad to hear though that you are now sorted and can continue your work, albeit after a lot of grief.

Thank you for the follow up and you are most welcome :thumbsup: