Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How can I set up Remote Desktop Connection on my Desktop at School?

• Please log in to reply

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I started going to college this year, and I got a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate from my school, and enabled Remote Desktop Connection. While I'm on-campus, I can access my desktop from my laptop using RDC (just by typing in my computer name,) but not off campus. I read that usually one can connect using the name of the computer and the Primary DNS Suffix.

I looked at my network information (using CMD and 'ipconfig /all') and my Primary DNS Suffix is blank. It looked like DNS Suffix Search List (which is [school].[college network].edu) was close to what I want, so I tried [computer name].[school].[college network].edu, but it didn't work.

I don't know what to try next. The IT department is very loose about web traffic, only blocking torrenting and game consoles (which half the school has gotten around anyway,) so I'm not sure if they would have anything to do with it, or if I'm just doing it wrong. How can I get this working?

Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you would have to have a public ip address on your computer or have a VPN configured on the computer at school to be able to access it from off campus. the reason you can access it on campus is because you're on the same network. you would probably need to talk to the campus IT people to investigate either of those two options.

another option would be something like teamviewer (http://www.teamviewe...m/en/index.aspx) which is sort of similar to RDP, but not quite exactly the same.

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I have teamviewer installed, I'm just thinking of file transfer speed. If the file has to go through Teamviewer's servers first, wouldn't that slow the transfer down?

I've tried Logmein Hamachi, but it's too sporadic for me to use regularly (it recently started showing my desktop's network location as completely empty.)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
AFAIK, the teamveiwer server portion (as in the stuff at teamviewer) is just there to facilitate the connection. i think once you connect to the host it is just an end-to-end connection. it's slower because it's a less efficient protocol than RDP. it's more akin to VNC than RDP...and VNC isn't the most efficient thing in the world.

what kind of file transfer stuff are you talking about? could you use something like skydrive, google drive, or dropbox for file synchronization instead?

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
It's pretty sporadic. usually it's just small documents and pictures, but I've transferred folders of music before, and I'm glad that I used RDC to transfer the latest: a 1.4GB RAR file.

I use Windows Live Mesh to keep my Documents and Pictures folder in sync, but I'm looking for something to deal with the larger, random transfers.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well, if you're wanting to do RDP you'll need a VPN or a public IP address that translates to the computer...either of which woud probably be best if you talked to the school's IT group first to make sure they allow such things, and they may give you instructions on how to get it done on their network (you're surely not the first person to ask)

WhydoIask?

WhydoIask?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
alright then, thanks!

Since the IT office closed an hour ago, I'll have to wait 'till tomorrow to ask them.

In the mean time, can I ask you if this how-to guide would give me what I need? Would I still need a specific IP adress, or do you think linking my Google account to the program will provide a list of "connected" computers?
http://www.labnol.or...work-vpn/12208/

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
never heard of that software so i can't speak to it's reliability directly, but based on their description, if it works like it claims it does it should work seamlessly as long as you campus IT group isn't blocking it specifically. if it does work....let us know as that's something that i'd like to keep in my toolkit if it is as they describe it