Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help... various Errors...

• Please log in to reply

ladybrooklyn

ladybrooklyn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi!

;) :help:

I'm new to this forum... and I REALLY need help figuring out what the heck is wrong with my computer.

It started out a week or so ago... IE would randomly give me an error, "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and has to close. Sorry for the inconvenience..." etc...

It would also randomly restart itself... no warning or explaination...

My boyfriend and I decided that the easiest way to fix the problem... would be a reformat.

Which I did.

:tazz:

Twice.

The first time I reformatted... all seemed to be well.... until the same error occured in IE... but then Windows Explorer gave me the SAME error, leaving me with a blank desktop... no start menu... no icons.. nothing.

Now, the second time I've reformatted... IE is still giving me the error. my IM program, Trillian, also gives me an error "Crash detected: Trillian encountered a crash and had to close." I installed Avant browser in an attempt to circumvent the error... and that program will freeze on me.

To make matters worse and beyond frustrating... Microsoft Word has joined in. "Microsoft Word has enounctered an error..." etc etc... Every time I get his error, it asks me if I would like to try to recover what I was working on... I say yes... it encounters the error again... asks if I'd like to start up in Word Safe Mode... Only to have it encounter the problem again... continually...

I think that's all... if ANYONE has any advice to offer to me... I'd REALLY appreciate this! My boyfriend built this computer from scratch for me at Christmas... so neither of us can figure out what the heck is going on...

Thanks!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi ladybooklyn. Welcome to Geeks to Go. So we have some random reboots and sometimes programs just freeze? Had the computer always done this or did it at one point work ok? If it was ok once, and then just strarted this, do you recall downloading or installing any software just before the trouble started? Think about this, it could be a change you made is the cause. You can use the event viewer to look for possible causes. Go to start, my computer, right click manage, event viewer. Look for events with red x corresponding to the time of the event. Right click, properties for details. You can also send a report to M$ and view their knowledge base for additional clues as to possible cause and corrective action. This may give some idea what direction to take.

Random reboots are usually caused by heat, memory, driver issues or the power supply.

ladybrooklyn

ladybrooklyn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No... I don't recall installing any software just before this happened.

And yes... the computer was running fine up until a week ago when it started giving me the IE error. That's the main one. Since I reformatted... the random rebootings seemed to have stopped. It's just that IE, Avant, Trillian and Word (basically the only programs I have added to my computer since I reformatted) will give me that error and close... or just freeze.

I do see Red X's under the event viewer... they correspond to errors that the programs committed... I'll look into them... but I'm afraid that since I'm looking at this now.. after the reformat... that they may not mean much...

Thanks BTW! I'll keep looking into it...

Edited by ladybrooklyn, 06 June 2005 - 11:35 AM.