Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop freezing [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kenomikes

kenomikes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi,

It's doing the same, losing network randomly (doesn't even see any connections), then I have to either reset network a few times or reboot. Sometimes just go away for awhile and retry. Real pain. But once connected, works fine for awhile! :thumbsup:

Thx

Mike

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

It's doing the same, losing network randomly (doesn't even see any connections), then I have to either reset network a few times or reboot. Sometimes just go away for awhile and retry. Real pain. But once connected, works fine for awhile! :thumbsup:

Still think not malware related then and the previous detection from MBAM was merely revealed after the through removal process(possibly) and actually unrelated for such issues to be perfectly honest. Plus the use of P2P and its knock on effects can be a royal pain to fully eradicate at times.

I have double checked all logs in this topic and nothing I can see that would be malware as the cause now. I have been providing Anti-Malware support now for over five years in various forums apart from here in Geeks to Go and honestly though I am far from infallible I do think the underlying problem is driver/hardware related at this time

OK, carry out the below for me please then let me know and I will in turn re-open the other topic in the tech side...

Next:

Please download OTC and save it to desktop. This tool will remove all the tools(and logs created) we used to clean your pc.

• Right-click on OTC.exe and select Run as Administrator.
  • Click the CleanUp! button.
  • Select Yes when the "Begin cleanup Process?" prompt appears.
  • If you are prompted to Reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.
Note: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTC attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

Reset the System Restore points:

Create a new, clean System Restore point:-

• Right click on Computer and select Properties >> System protection >> Create.
  • Give this restore point a descriptive name and click Create.
  • When the new restore point is created click on OK >> close the System propities window.
Note: Do not clear infected/old System Restore points before creating a new System Restore point first!

Flush Old System Restore points:-

• Next click Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Run (or the Windows key and R together) to bring up the Run box and and copy and paste in:
    cleanmgr
  • in the box and press OK.
  • Select the system drive, C >> OK.
  • Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked, you can choose to check other boxes if you wish but they are not required.
  • Click on Clean up system files >> Select the system drive, C >> OK.
  • Now click on the More Options tab.
  • Under:-
  • System Restore and Shadow Copies
  • Click on Clean up... >> Delete >> OK >> Delete Files.

kenomikes

kenomikes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Ok, but before I do above, now it's just taking forever to load pages. Sometimes it won't at all.

And I have a connection.

Mike

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Re-boot the machine...:)

kenomikes

kenomikes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Re-boot the machine

I did that. IE unusable right now, Home page loads quick than can go nowhere else, just loads forever. I uninstalled IE9, then re-installed it, no different. Pages just load forever.

Switched over to Chrome and no problems. :wacko:

Edited by kenomikes, 15 December 2012 - 08:16 AM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Is the problem with IE still occuring ? :)

kenomikes

kenomikes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Is the problem with IE still occuring ?

Yes, Home page loads quick, then anything else loads forever. Chrome no problem.

Thx,

Mike

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Carry out the following and inform myself in your next reply if any improvement...

• Please download this Microsoft FixIt and save it to the desktop.
  • Double click on MicrosoftFixit50195.exe select I Agree and click on Next.
  • Follow the on-screen prompts.
  • You may delete MicrosoftFixit50195.exe when finished and or keep it if any problems in the future with IE9.
  • Next time IE9 is launched you will be prompted to reapply settings again, this is normal.
Note: Any add-ons will require to be reapplied after the above reset.

kenomikes

kenomikes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi,

Nope that didn't help, same problem.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Is this current issue only occurring when using the WiFi connection and or with the Ethernet also ?

If not checked please do so, thank you.

Advertisements

kenomikes

kenomikes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi,

Ok, I was checking to see what happens when I plug into ethernet, no different, but then tried something.

When I clicked in as Admin. in IE9, works fine (whether ethernet or wifi). If not as Admin, won't load pages.

Under Users in the files, there's a lock on the folders Liv, All Users, and Default User. Nothing on Public. I don't know what that means, just mentioning it to you.

Still dropping wifi randomly though.

Thx,

Mike

Edited by kenomikes, 17 December 2012 - 04:05 PM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Still dropping wifi randomly though.

I still think that is a problem with the adapter/driver itself etc...

Under Users in the files, there's a lock on the folders Liv, All Users, and Default User. Nothing on Public. I don't know what that means, just mentioning it to you.

In most instances this is not a cause for concern and merely how W7 is set up. Further information can be read here.

When I clicked in as Admin. in IE9, works fine (whether ethernet or wifi). If not as Admin, won't load pages.

Have you installed any new software recently such as a registry cleaner and used it or say the installed VAIO Care ?

How are you actually launching IE9, via Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> All Programs >> Internet Explorer ?

Or via a desktop icon ?

If the latter, delete the desktop icon, then navigate to Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> All Programs >> Internet Explorer >> right-click on Internet Explorer >> Send to >> Desktop (create shortcut)

Now try the launching IE via the new shortcut and check if still the same issues.

kenomikes

kenomikes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Have you installed any new software recently such as a registry cleaner and used it or say the installed VAIO Care ?

I haven't done that.

How are you actually launching IE9, via Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> All Programs >> Internet Explorer ?

Or via a desktop icon ?

If the latter, delete the desktop icon, then navigate to Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> All Programs >> Internet Explorer >> right-click on Internet Explorer >> Send to >> Desktop (create shortcut)

Was launching from taskbar, tried other way, no different. Only loads in Chrome and if I right click and go in as Admin.

I'll send a new one to desktop now to see if that works. Edit: nope

Only works if I go in as Admin.

Edited by kenomikes, 18 December 2012 - 04:06 PM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Which User Account are using now and does this same issue occur with any of the other User Accounts ?

I not think this is actually a malware problem as rather defeats the object but as a precaution check for updates with MBAM >> run a quick scan and then perform another quick scan for myself with Panda as outlined here.

Probably be prudent to connect via the eithernet cable for the Panda scan and clean out temp files before doing so.

In the meantime I will research more into this particular problem and see if I can replicate it on one of my machines etc.

kenomikes

kenomikes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi,

Only have 1 user account now, just Liv.

I'll do the Panda now.

Thx,

Mike

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.1.1000
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.12.18.09

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Liv :: LIV-VAIO [administrator]

12/18/2012 6:54:50 PM
mbam-log-2012-12-18 (18-54-50).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 214594
Time elapsed: 7 minute(s), 42 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0