Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External HD not seen by computer

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I have a Maxtor external that I have personal data saved to. My cat knocked it off the shelf and now when I plug it into a USB and click on Computer it is not visible under Devices with Removable Storage though you can feel it "humming" away when it is plugged in. Same thing on a 2nd laptop that I tried just to verify that it is not the port on the other laptop.

Is this thing trashed? Is there a way to access what I have saved on it?

Edited by DonnaB, 27 November 2012 - 07:36 PM.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It depends on what is wrong with it. The first step would be to open it up and check to make sure everything appears to be ok (check to ensure that all the cables are properly connected inside) and try it again. If it does not work, then I would try connecting the drive directly to the computer, to see if the USB interface on the enclosure is damaged. If that does not work, then there are services you can use to recover the data, but it is expensive.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Kemasa,

Thank you so much for responding. The external is a Maxtor Personal Storage 3200. I'll follow your instructions above and keep you informed to my progress.

Don't mean to be thick, but will I need an external enclosure to hook it up directly to my computer? I've done this many times with a dead HDD from my laptop to retrieve data but I've never had the pleasure to take apart an external. Is this the same principle?

Getting late where I am. I'll post back as soon as I can if not tomorrow.

Again. Thank you!

Donna :happy:

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
No,you are not being thick :-).

As to hooking up the drive directly, it depends on the interface with the drive and you computer. If both are the same, then it is easy, if not then you need an adapter, such as another external case. If you have another external case that you know works, you can use that as well. The main thing is to separate the parts to see which is not working. Also make sure that you use another cable if you use another external case. So, yes, it is the same principle.

BTW, sometimes it can be difficult to open the cases of external drives, especially those which come complete (which I why I prefer to buy the drive and the external case separately).

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Kemasa,

All I needed to do was unscrew 2 little screws and carefully pry the compartment apart. I think I may have found the problem. The round port where you plug in the power source from the external to the outlet is nice and snug though the port where you plug in the cable from the external to the USB port looks to be a tad bit off and isn't really loose but looks as if it is not set right as if it is twisted a bit which intuition tells me it is not making a connection to what looks like the MoBo part of the external where the Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB HDD plugs into, which would make sense as to why any other computer will not recognize the device. Does that make since to you?

Looks like I'll have to purchase an enclosure/external case. Think I like the idea of the latter, myself. I have a friend who owns a Tech Shop. I'll take the Maxtor to him tomorrow and ask if he has anything in stock that meets my needs.

Thank you for your help. :happy:

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Yes, that makes sense. You might be able to fix the connection, or perhaps your friend at the tech shop. You should test the drive before buying another case, just in case the disk has a problem as well. Hopefully it is just one problem with the connector, but you never know.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm..... That's a thought! I'll talk to my geeky Tech Shop owner friend to see what options I have concerning all aspects.

Thanks for the ideas! :thumbsup:

Have a nice day!

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You are welcome. Have a good day too!!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Bumping my older thread to add update.

HD within external is in good condition. Found it much cheaper to purchase an enclosure to house the HD. Funny thing is that now when I attach the device to my laptop it displays as Local Disk G: under Hard Disk Drives instead of Devices with Removal Storage.

Why is this and could this be a problem?

Thank you,

Donna :)

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
It may well be Donna that the original interface PCB registered the external drive with Windows as Removable Media.

This is of course speculation but you have no reason to worry about the situation as it is now.

What you may wish to consider at some point is something similar to this as it can prove invaluable.........

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001A5SK56

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Wolfeymole,

This is what I bought.

May I ask, how is that any different from what I bought?

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Hi Donna

Well that enclosure that you bought can only encompass 3.5" drives be they SATA or IDE.

The apparatus in my link can be utilised for 3.5" SATA and 3.5" IDE drives and 2.5" SATA and 2.5" IDE laptop drives.

Mentioning 5.25" IDE drives is worthless in this day and age.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Oh! I see! Kinda like a one size fits all apparatus. Right?

Compatible with any 2.5", 3.5", 5.25" IDE or SATA drive!

Wished I knew you way back when I purchased the external enclosure for my 2.5" laptop HDD when it crashed. I could have saved me a few bucks!

Thanks Wolfeymole. :happy:

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Oh! I see! Kinda like a one size fits all apparatus. Right?

Look at it from a woman's point of view where one size tights (or pantyhose) fits all, it's the same thing love. :lol:

Some trivia for you, 5.25" hard drive were never SATA as that technology was not invented then.