Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card - Voltage Increase Question!

• Please log in to reply

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi everyone,

I have a quick question about increasing the voltage of your graphics card.

Though, before I get to that question you should know some things about my situation, starting with:

The fact that I run a custom built system, which is composed of:

- Windows 7 (64 Bit)
- Core i7 2600K (Overclocked to 4.6 GHZ)
- 750 Watt Power Supply
- 8 Gigs of RAM
- VERY WELL VENTILATED CASE!!!! (Coolermaster HAF X)
- AND ... A VERY WELL VENTILATED GPU -- Asus DCII: GTX 570
---- Asus DCII - GTX 570
**I keep both my case, and GPU clean of dust. (I clean them roughly, once every 8 / 9 days)**

With that, I have (and tons of other people for that matter) been experiencing issues with the game World of Warcraft. Specifically, people running a GTX 500 series GPU with Direct X11 enabled.

Here is a link to a 17 page thread regarding the issue that I am speaking of: World of Warcraft Official Technical Support Forum

Blizzard is aware of the issue, as well of Nvidia... And they are "Working on a solution." (I have talked to Nvidia personally regarding the issue, however, I was given no solution).

Well, I have been tooling around tech forums for over a month now trying to figure out a solution to this issue... And the one thing that stands out to me (what other people have done to resolve this issue) is:

"Increasing the GPU's voltage"

I know exactly how to do this, but I want to make sure that I do not overdue it.

So, my question boils down to this:

- If I increase my GPU's voltage... To whatever # that MSI Afterburner allows... Is the heat of the GPU the only thing I have to worry about?

In other words, If I increase my GPU's voltage to whatever # (with MSI Afterburner)... And my temperatures remain stable... Will my GPU be okay?

Or do I need to worry about something else?

If anyone has any input or advice on this matter I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

- Basmastersix

Edited by Basmastersix, 28 November 2012 - 06:52 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Basmastersix>

I can give you some general information, but I am not an expert at over-clocking.
Max temps for the GTX 570 is 97C, > specs, http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-570/specifications at that point the card should throttle back to protect itself. I would try to keep the max as low as possible, If you are constantly running at 80C, maxed out, dial back settings or look for better cooling. Looks like you have good cooling. During the over-clocking processes, watch the temps carefully and control them by creating a custom fan profile,
Try these settings, you may do better or worse for a stable system, every chip is different. I understand that afterburner won't let you use more than the so called safe 1.100Mv, if you want more, you need to modify in the BIOS. be warned, the higher the voltage, more heat, the shorter the life of the card.

880MHz Core Clock.
2100MHz Memory Clock.
1.100Mv..

Stress test, http://www.geeks3d.com/20120423/msi-kombustor-2-3-0-download-gpu-stress-test-opengl-direct3d-physx/
When you think you have a satisfactory result, run OCCT with error checking ticked, > http://www.ocbase.co...ex.php/download

Please read any warnings given. You perform all over clocking at your own risk.
Join a good site like this, >http://www.overclock.net/f/
I would be interested in your end results.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Kyl,

I appreciate your response to my issue.

In the time that has passed since I opened this thread, I have taken your advice as well as other peoples advice on another forum and performed some overclocking to my GPU.

I increased the voltage a ton (.25 off from how far the "slider" on MSI Afterburner allows) ... As well as the Core clock and Memory clock.

Though, this did not resolve my issue. World of Warcraft still crashes just as much as it ever has.

So this leads me to believe that it is an issue on Blizzards part, and I hope they get their stuff together to get it fixed.

Anyway,

With the overclock... My TEMPS remained perfectly stable, and I noticed a huge difference in WOW performance.

Thanks again,

- Basmastersix

Edited by Basmastersix, 05 December 2012 - 07:27 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
From reading other sites, I think you are right in thinking that Blizzard has a bug somewhere, keep your video drivers updated but do not use Beta versions.
Glad to have been of assistance. Great to hear you have better performance now and your temps are steady.. Posted Image
When you have the time, please post your over-clock and your temps. As well as helping others, I am interested in the results.

Basmastersix

Basmastersix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey all,

Here is my OC as requested!

Posted Image

The temperatures in the right hand window indicate stable levels... And this screen shot was taken after playing WoW for about 30 minutes, and then minimizing to print screen that image.

Thanks again for all of your help!

- Basmastersix

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thank you Basmastersix
That is a pretty good stable overclock and excellent temps. Well done, Posted Image