Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bluescreen of Death Dump attached

• Please log in to reply

Yhe1

Yhe1

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hello, just today I had a BSOD. I had the Torch and Firefox browser opened at the same time and was watch a video and on facebook. Without warning, I had a Bluescreen. Nothing unusual happened before.

My specs are

Dell XPS 1640
2.26 ghz with 4 gbs of ram
Wnidows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
ATI 3670 Graphics card

The minidump file is attached.

I had used this laptop for over 2 years and it never had a Bluescreen before. Thanks for any help!

Attached Files

Edited by Yhe1, 29 November 2012 - 01:26 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The dump points to aswSP.SYS which belongs to Avast anti-virus. If it happens again I would uninstall Avast then install MSE.

Yhe1

Yhe1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Wrong Dump attached. Please look at this correct one. Thank you.

Attached Files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That dump shows netw5v64.sys as the culprit , which belongs to your Intel Wireless adapter.

I'd suggest uninstalling it from Device Manager, including the driver files, then connect via a Ethernet cable and do a Windows Update to see if it has a good driver for it. If not, you can get it from the Dell web site.

Write down the exact model number of the card before you uninstall it from Device Manager.

Yhe1

Yhe1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I see a nwifi.sys from Bluescreenview, is that also part of the same drivers?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That is strange. BlueScreenView has nwifi.sys in the call stack, but WinDbg (Windows Debugtger) shows netw5v64.sys. I would pick WinDbg over BSView for accuracy.

nwifi.sys is part of Windows from what I can find about it on the internet.