Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot after running AVG Tune-up

• Please log in to reply

blooay

blooay

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello, as the title states, I recently tried running AVG tune-up. I discovered it had a defragmentation program, which I afterwards used. I closed all programs and merely allowed it to run its course, since I had other stuff to do. However, at some point during this defragmentation, the computer shut down with no apparent reason and ever since haven't been capable of booting. I get to the screen where the windows logo pops up and after that screen has stayed on for some time, my computer makes quite the noise, and then stops, only to shut itself down and then restart, re-running the process over and over. I have tried recovering the system and starting it in safe-mode, to no avail. I run a windows 7 64-bit system.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: blooay

I am sorry that you have had to wait for a reply, this can happen from time to time due to the large amount of new topics being post.

Couple of questions if I may, do you have a Windows 7 or re-installation disk, can you provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

blooay

blooay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

:welcome: blooay

I am sorry that you have had to wait for a reply, this can happen from time to time due to the large amount of new topics being post.

Couple of questions if I may, do you have a Windows 7 or re-installation disk, can you provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

No need to apologize, I am merely thankful that there are people who even bother to help people like me when in need!

I do have the windows 7 installation disk, what I have is a custom build desktop and this is the first problem I have ever had with it. Additionally I am pretty sure it isn't a hardware problem nor a heating problem and the computer has been working fine for over a year now, until this happened.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:thumbsup:

I suggest a Repair Install which means you will not loose your present data but you may need to check some of your settings, please refer to the tutorial @ http://www.sevenforu...ir-install.html

blooay

blooay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Unfortunately the guide tells me to log in, which is something I cannot do as it shuts down before the log in screen

blooay

blooay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Unfortunately the guide tells me to log in, which is something I cannot do as it shuts down before the log in screen

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts, press F8 before the Windows logo appears, go to the Advanced Boot Options screen and then use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

While you are in the BIOS can you check that the boot order is DVD/CD drive first and the HDD second.

blooay

blooay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts, press F8 before the Windows logo appears, go to the Advanced Boot Options screen and then use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.

While you are in the BIOS can you check that the boot order is DVD/CD drive first and the HDD second.

Yes, I have also tried that option and it didn't seem to have any result either. And I changed it to boot the DVD/CD first so that I could try that option with windows repair, but it stated I had to log in before I could make the repair, just like it told me to in the tutorial.

Edited by blooay, 07 December 2012 - 08:29 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
My apologies the link should have been for Start Up Repair :blush: http://www.sevenforu...tup-repair.html

blooay

blooay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Also no fix, it merely states that Windows cannot find the error and that I should send some information to Windows so that they might find a fix in the distant future.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
What type of OS disk do you have full retail, burned system restore disk or a downloaded iso.
Do you have data on the HDD that you would like to secure.

blooay

blooay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I do have my windows 7 disk, which I bought from a store, home premium. And no, there isn't stuff on the HDD that I can't stand loosing, but [bleep] would that have been a lot of [bleep] I lose.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Good that you have a full disk and nothing important on the HDD.

As Windows cannot fix the problem I suggest checking the HDD itself, the reason why I asked if there was data on the HDD that you needed to try and secure is because HDD tests are designed to stress the HDD and this can cause a flaky HDD to fail completely.

If there is anything at all on the HDD that you would like to back up let us know and I will provide the directions for Puppy Linux to do this, if not;

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;

Make sure that you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the CD bootable.

blooay

blooay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I don't understand how you want me to do this, I cannot boot my computer, that is the problem, yet this program requires me to do just that. When the logo of windows springs up, my computer dies out, I cannot log in.

Edited by blooay, 08 December 2012 - 07:48 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You do not boot into Windows to run the test as it is run from a burned disk in DOS, the Seatools version will work with most brands of HDD, a tutorial to help you http://knowledge.sea...US/FAQ/201271en I did not provide this earlier as I don`t know your brand of HDD.

NB: You will note that you are asked to change the Boot sequence in the BIOS to DVD/CD drive first and the HDD second, Puppy Linux also boots from the optical drive and your computers Ram which then allows you to access and copy data from the HDD when possible.

I hope this clarifies things :thumbsup: