Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot after running AVG Tune-up

• Please log in to reply

blooay

blooay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for the clarification, so I did what you asked, tried pretty much everything inside the tools that was given to me, yet my computer haven't changed at all, all the seatools presumably told me was, that my HDD passed all tests.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Sorry for the delay.

In case of a bad CMOS battery can you check that your boot sequence has saved as DVD/CD drive first and your HDD second.

I asked in reply #13

If there is anything at all on the HDD that you would like to back up let us know and I will provide the directions for Puppy Linux

If there is nothing at all on the HDD that you wish to keep then the easiest option may be to do a full NTFS format and fresh install of the OS, Please check that the OS disk that you purchased is the Full Retail type and not an upgrade version.

blooay

blooay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The boot sequence is correct and changes accordingly to what I set it to, no problem there. A quick question though, if I back up my HDD, will I then be capable of putting back in all my files quickly so that there won't be any change in files, like game saves and such?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
If you use Puppy Linux you only copy/back up the files on the HDD that you want to keep, the alternative is making an image (mirror) of the present HDD http://majorgeeks.co...tion_d6034.html the problem with this is that you could potentially be also backing up whatever it is that is causing your present issue/s.

NB: Please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service offered at the link, only the free mirror software.

blooay

blooay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, the fresh install worked, even though that means I have to spend quite some time downloading all the stuff I need once again, at least it got my computer working again. Thank you for your help and patience!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
A format and fresh install is always the last recommendation where possible but it is sometimes the only way.

I am pleased that your computer is now working again albeit with the reinstalling that you need to do :(

You are welcome BTW and thank you for your perseverance with the testing :thumbsup: