Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only Safe Mode works, but not for long [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
We can recover the data for you, the attached will create an operating system on a USB . This will enable you to copy any data over to a second USB or CD

Download Peazip to the desktop
Run and install the programme
As it installs this page will show, deselect the AVG ticks
Press decline and it will then install cleanly

Posted Image

Download the following files to the desktop .. Right click the links and select save as...then select desktop

Iso2disc

OTLPE_standard

Right click OTLPE on your desktop and select ..Open as archive

Posted Image

Select OTLPE standard

Posted Image

Click Extract, ensure that desktop is selected

Posted Image

Insert the USB stick Then run ISO2disc

Posted Image

Select the ISO file on the desktop, select Burn to USB Flash Drive .
Press Start Burn

Once completed you can use this USB as a boot device on the sick computer

Advertisements

zeeth

zeeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks; I'll try this as soon as I can, cheers

zeeth

zeeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'm sorry to ask, I've not done this before.

I followed your instructions using a healthy laptop. I now have the usb flashdrive with the OTLPE New Standard iso on it.

What is the procedure on the sick computer?

Cheers.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK insert the USB into the sick computer
Start the computer
If the following comes up then you are set

Press any key to boot from external device

Press a key and it will start loading

If it doesn't then follow the steps here

zeeth

zeeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have changed the boot order in the bos setup menus to boot from the usb first; but when I restart, it is if it does not recognise the contents of the drive as an OS. it just goes to a black screen saying NTLDR missing, press any key, wich just takes me to the startup repair dead end. I have tried all three ports. I have tried re-burning OTLPE new standard to the usb drive; it seems to have named the drive RWP & has 289 MB of content.

Thank you so much for your time.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
When you explore the USB does it have these files in it ?

[attachment=61893:Capture.JPG]

zeeth

zeeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi again; I really have appreciated your help, Essex boy, but my daughter has been driving me nuts & doesn't understand the time zone separation between our communications.
So, contrary to your very sensible admonitions to only do what you suggest, when you suggest it, I jumped ahead a little & researched elsewhere on this side & ended up successfully saving all my daughters data by using Puppy Linux instead of OTLPE. It worked extremely well. I can now happily nuke this installation.
Unfortunately, I am unable to get the computer to use the recovery partition to reinstall win7.
Using F8 fails to get me to the Safe Mode choices screen (which sometimes included a repair option) just a black. screen with text telling me that a lead is unplugged etc, pressing anything just makes it repeat the text so I force shut down.
F12 includes an option for 'HDD Recovery' which when selected takes me to the monochrome loading bar then mouse arrow on black screen limbo.
F2 takes me to the bits set up menus as usual where I have put everything back to defaults.
The Toshiba 'hold zero key then press power button' procedure for accessing the recovery partition just gives me beeping, then above limbo screen.
It goes without saying of course that I did not burn my own recovery discs when I bought the laptop & that the laptop went out of warranty 3 weeks ago. I've only bought about 5 laptops in the last 12 years & they have all died of old age & thrashing rather than gremlins.
Any thoughts?

zeeth

zeeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Please excuse the auto correct mistakes - typed on a smart(!) phone

zeeth

zeeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have downloaded that iso you suggested via PM. Burnt it to dvd as well as usb, changed boot order in bios accordingly but no go. I've tried using Imageburn to burn the dvd(-r) slowly but still no go; it's as if the laptop just doesn't recognize the burnt iso for what it is. Should I have changed it's title/filename/volume name before burning?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
What version of windows is on the computer you are using to burn the DVD ?

Advertisements

zeeth

zeeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have been using vista and win7 machines, depending on where I am.
Oddly, the most successful process so far has been using Iso2disc to burn a dvd+r (I haven't EVER used +r before) which got recognised, took my language details, I clicked next, there was a single big 'proceed' or 'load' button, I clicked that, went to the next blank blue wallpaper with the rolling doughnut...... Which just didn't do anything else for 2 hours. Just the 'wait' cursor.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Was this when you were installing windows or when using iso2cd

zeeth

zeeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The stage I just described was after booting the sick laptop from the dvd+r (your suggested Iso, burnt with iso2disc, on a vista machine)There seems to be no activity at all apart from the whirling doughnut...no cd drive activity at all. The attempts with imageburn with dvd-r (various speeds) just ignored the bootable disc & went into the monochrome loadingbar then black screen arrow cursor limbo with nothing happening.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Back again, just had to switch systems

Could you burn the ISO again but this time use the inbuilt windows ISO burner
Right click the ISO file and select Open With ....
Select Windows Disc Image Burner
[attachment=61925:Untitled.png]

zeeth

zeeth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I've just tried again with a usb burnt with the iso via iso2disc; same result; I get to the language choices, then ïnstall now",then "setup is starting" screen with the rolling doughnut, but nothing further happens.