Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it the psu?

• Please log in to reply

Mason24

Mason24

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello I decided to upgrade my graphics card, plugged it all in, fan fires up but no display at all no bios or anything, card is a HiS Radeon 7770 psu is http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153052 any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Oh and board is a xfx nforce 750a sli am2+, 2 gig ddr2, amd phenom 9500 quad core. Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Mason24

There are different versions of the HIS HD7770, one requires a PSU with a minimum 500W output and the other a 450W output, both require a supplemental 6 pin pci-e power connection with a 75W output, can you provide us with a link to your version of card + tell us what other devices you have connected to your MB, how many HDDs for example.

Having looked up your PSU specs it apparently only puts out 405W maximum which may explain your issue, please see the attachment below and the link for further information http://www.realhardt...vos/Page680.htm

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have the HiS Radeon 7770 Icooler 1 gig ddr5, 3 120mm case fans, 1 500 gig hdd Ed caviar black. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:

Couple of questions if I may;

You have said the HD7770 is an upgrade, what were you using previously, the MBs integrated video chip or another add on video card.
Did you do the following before actually physically fitting the card into the computer, install the drivers for the new card, uninstall the previous video drivers, shutdown the computer and then fit the new card and end up where you are up to now.
Have you tried both pci-e X16 slots and checked that the 6 pin power supply is connected securely to the card.

It will depend on the answers to the above as to what I suggest next.

NB: Did you take anti static precautions when fitting the new card.

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I was using integrated, I went in bios and set it so it should be using the 7770, since the cards in and hasn't been working I've been using integrated, I can't even get he drivers to show up in device manager for the card. Everything is plugged in good, the fan on the video card seems to in at max

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
OK then we can hopefully make a couple of changes and get your card working if there are no actual problems with the card.

Things of note are;

I was using integrated, I went in bios and set it so it should be using the 7770

You do not have to do this with modern add on video cards as when the BIOS detects the presence of the add on video card it automatically disables the integrated video chip and allows the add on card to take over, this function can be changed in the BIOS but unless you have done this accessing the BIOS is totally unnecessary.

I can't even get he drivers to show up in device manager for the card.

You will not see drivers in the Device Manager as they are software and Device Manager deals with hardware (it will warn you of bad or missing drivers though), look in Add/Remove programs or on the HDD in the Drivers folder or an ATI or Nvidea folder, to make life easier in the future save your drivers to a new folder or to the desktop for easy access.

Can I ask you to do the following please;
Save the drivers for the new card to your desktop.
Shutdown the computer and disconnect all power cables from the computer.
Remove the add on video card and then reassemble and connect the computer.
Boot into the BIOS, select the MBs default settings, save (F10) and then Y to accept the changes.
When the computer goes to Windows install the new cards drivers that you saved earlier and then shutdown and disconnect the computer as described earlier.
Fit the new card, reassemble the computer and let us know how it goes.

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well my brother said he will plug it in his machine he has a corsair ax 850 watt so maybe I can see if it is infact a psu issue since the old ati Radeon card I have seems to work in my machine so the pci slot must be good

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well my brother said he will plug it in his machine he has a corsair ax 850 watt so maybe I can see if it is infact a psu issue since the old ati Radeon card I have seems to work in my machine so the pci slot must be good

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Mason24.
Please follow the instructions given by Phillpower2 in Post #7 and reply with your results as well as info of your brother's testing. This insures working from a base stable setting and should there still be issues back tracking/searching would be less likely needed.

Edited by iammykyl, 29 November 2012 - 09:53 PM.

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I followed his instructions exactly, i even reformatted... was a no go. Card worked great no issues at all in my brothers computer. My old 512 radeon card uses power directly from the pci slot and it also works like a charm. when i did have the 7770 installed ( but was using the integrated ), i would turn on my computer and it would fire up but it would take like 45 seconds before the bios screen would even show up... before the card i would press the power button and everything would happen immediatly. maybe i need to put some new guts in my case.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Yes, does look like an upgrade for the PSU is in order.
I see you are in Canada, and as Phillpower2 is in a closer time zone to you than me, will but out and leave you in his expert hands.
Good luck.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
An under powered PSU is looking to be the cause of the lack of display, let us see what sort of power the present PSU is providing, the results will be more realistic and therefore more helpful if you replace your old Radeon card and do some gaming or watch a video or two before running Speedfan and take and then post your results as detailed below;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Thanks for providing the additional guidance iammykyl :thumbsup:

Mason24

Mason24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks for all your help but the PSU was the culprit, I replaced it with a corsair hx650 and it motors along good again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

Your previous PSU not being able to produce the claimed 500W as suggested in my reply #3 was indeed the cause of the issue, I am relieved to see that it has not caused any apparent damage to your hardware.

NB: RE: Misleading PSU output ratings. The problem is not as bad as what it used to be but there are still some PSU manufacturers selling PSUs with overstated output ratings, I find this reckless on their behalf and feel that more should be done to check that their products are capable of producing and maintaining the claimed performance.

You have chosen a good brand in Corsair (my preferred brand) but for others who may read your topic looking for guidance I have included a couple of links to help with choosing a PSU, brands to trust and brands to avoid http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php and reviews, test results etc http://www.realhardt...vos/Page541.htm