Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trouble Recording WIN XP SP3

• Please log in to reply

Brickstin

Brickstin

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
When I try to record something say.. I want to record some music

I keep having trouble were if I was to change my MAIN volume it would CUT and adjust the Stereo mix and cut off everything

INFACT its cutting off the CD input and the LINE In inputs and everything else. as though some how the MAIN volume controls the CD volume, MIc Volume, Line Volume, and Stereo Mix all together.

It shouldn't be doing this at all.

There is times that I need to have my speaker volume low at night when I record sometimes because my room mate goes to bead early because of his work schedual but when I TURN Down the volume on the keyboard pressing the down button for the volume.. As I am recording I noticed the Volume level of the input devices lowers as well. So I am unable to record and get the right volume levels on my input devices because my output device master volume controls both the input and the outputs at the same time. Destroying what I am recording.

I Don't know how to get this thing to stop doing this.

What could be causing that?

Edited by Brickstin, 29 November 2012 - 08:45 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The important point is what are you using to record the audio
Depending on that answer and
HAS IT EVER WORKED depends on where we go from there

What I mean by that is - if you have not got a line in - then that control is not in any way connected with the problem

and obviously if you are not using the mic - neither is that

It all depends on the program you are using and the facilities of the sound card/integrated audio on the computer

Thought this may help you
Here is a free one
http://manual.audaci..._recording.html

You do not need to hear what you are recording - therefore you do not need the speakers on or the volume that is there does not effect the recording vol

Here is the one I have used for years since it wad first marketed and although it is not free, there is a free trial and free updates for life
HOWEVER please understand that I am not recommending it, nor indeed suggesting that it is any better than any of the others, even the free ones
I am simply saying it is the one I use

http://www.polderbit...and-editor.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 November 2012 - 05:41 PM.

Brickstin

Brickstin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

The important point is what are you using to record the audio
Depending on that answer and
HAS IT EVER WORKED depends on where we go from there

What I mean by that is - if you have not got a line in - then that control is not in any way connected with the problem

and obviously if you are not using the mic - neither is that

It all depends on the program you are using and the facilities of the sound card/integrated audio on the computer

Well that is the thing. I am using onboard motherboard audio system

its realtek HD Audio Driver version 5.10.00.51.36

I even tried upgrading to the latest drivers which is on the gigabyte motherboard area of my board: all it did was disable my input devices and none of the sliders work.

Basically what is happening is no matter what kind of recording program I use, I have used three kinds, Windows soundrec, Nero Media Player.
And they are all affected by the realtek master volume.

You do not need to hear what you are recording - therefore you do not need the speakers on or the volume that is there does not effect the recording vol

This is true and the thing is. the way I am trying to record is I am trying to record music coming out of a program called Gashisoft and an NES emulator program that I can play music to record NES into a wave format using a recording software program.

I have tried the one you used but it is still affected.

I don't understand why this happens it doesn't do it on my other computer. I have a screen shot here that shows you what happens.

Anyhow here is the first picture

You see I'm able to record.

Posted Image

--------------------- But if I lower my speaker volume on the keyboard this is what happens --->

Posted Image

This makes no sense what so ever You are correct, lowering my output master volume for my speakers shouldn't affect what is being waved inside the system it self.

I don't understand it is this way or not but I think it may be due to driver instruction.

I don't ever recall having this problem on this system before but then again I can't confirm that because I have never noticed it before till the day I muted my volume on the keyboard to take a cell phone call during a recording session.

So regardless of what wave recording program i use including the one you suggested: they are all affected anyhow and because of this volume issue I cannot properly control the volume inputs because the volume outputs Overrides The stereo Mix in the Volume input devices.

This makes no sense to me what so ever, But if I select the Microphone in the input devices box?

For some reason that is not affected.

It makes no sense to me what so ever, on my other computer when I was doing sound media recordings I never had this problem, I could mute my output speakers and I would still be able to record nominal sound output from the actual SOUND chip it self on the motherboard.

I'm tempted the contact the manufacture unless you have any ideas of what could be causing the conflict?

perhaps a software program has installed a audio driver that is screwing with everything else on that input function?

This is the following programs that I have installed.

Video LAN player, Nero Media player 1.4, then there's the basic Windows Media player software provided by windows XP SP2 and then I upgraded my OS to SP3 of course.

Edited by Brickstin, 01 December 2012 - 08:38 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry cannot help

This is true and the thing is. the way I am trying to record is I am trying to record music coming out of a program called Gashisoft and an NES emulator program that I can play music to record NES into a wave format using a recording software program.

I have never heard of gashisoft I just use a simple straightforward - record on the program I sent you - it includes a sound editor, after you have made the original recording, you can tweak the recording, using noise and crackle filter , graphic equalizer etc and safe the original and the tweaked and it all works perfectly
I do not even have to have the speakers switched on and use the same Realtek HD audio on my Gigabyte motherboard - I do not mute the audio, I simply turn the speakers off

I have absolutely no idea and would simply be taking wild guesses.

What I do suggest is that you try the same and see if that works
If so of course then the problem lies in the Gashisoft and whatever else you use.

Good luck with it.

Brickstin

Brickstin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I actually decided to email realtek and Gigabyte in hoping to provide debug information on the specific drivers that work with the mixer tables.

In the mean time I have had to resort to installing a soundblaster card to do the job correctly.

I really shouldn't have to GO through all the trouble of having to re nomalize my sound levels and fix cracking and other issues associated with improper code instruction written by Realtek for mixer control settings.

And no one else should have to deal with installing more software and work arounds just to fix an issue with a hardware that you purchased in hopes of good performance and that it would get the job done for you. Only to find out it was poorly written and created.

*Sigh* Seems that its hard to buy a good motherboard anymore these days.

I'll never forget the day when back in my time motherboards and certain other hard ware was really quality good back then; especially hard drives..

I have hard drives dating back to 1992 and have Sizes like 80GBs and up that still function great till this very day. No bad sectors.. They were sturdy and made out of good quality materials.

Now hard drives are made even more crappier then ever.: anyhow..

Thank you Macboatmaster for all your assistance, I at least got something good out of this, Audacity its quite a nifty recording program!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting
Sorry I could not help directly

My first hard drive on Windows after the days of the commodore and the spectrums was 30MB