Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive issue

• Please log in to reply

Cooljdog

Cooljdog

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello I bought a Sony Viao laptop computer at an auction and the laptop doesnt have a hard drive. Since I am on a fixed income and cant afford a new hard drive at this time, I was wondering if I can just take the hard drive out of an old desktop computer and put it into the laptop? The desk top in question is an old packard bell computer. I know nothing about these computers all I can go on is what I read online. Thank you for your help with this matter.

Edited by Cooljdog, 29 November 2012 - 10:22 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Usually desktop computers use 3.5' hdd and laptops use 2.5' hdd, if you have a 3.5 on your old desktop then it will be too thick and too big to fit into your laptop.

hope that helps

Cooljdog

Cooljdog

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok cool thanks for the quick response. So if this old desktop has a 2.5 then it will work? I just have to figure out where is is on this pc and figure out how to find out if its a 2.5 or a 3.5 ok thanks again

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Hello Cooljdog

If I may just chime in while Alzeimer is offline;

The Packard Bell brand was a retail name used by the various owners (from memory NEC was one and now Acer) to sell their systems, one thing that they have in common is that each built stock computers and so it is highly unlikely (99.9%) that the HDD is anything other than the 3.5" size, also to be taken into consideration is the drive type, you have described the computer as an old "packard bell" which means the HDD may be the IDE type as opposed to the more modern type SATA, I mention the drive types as you may have another way of using the Packard Bell HDD such as an external HDD adaptor such as http://www.amazon.co...k/dp/B004JO1Z52 or an enclosure such as http://www.pcworld.c...x-criteria.html both are examples only, there are many to choose from and if you tell us the model name or number of the Packard Bell we can do some research and identify the type of HDD used and suggest the least expensive but best option for you.