Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton"s Virus CD [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
This is probably easy for you to answer but I had Norton on my new laptop and they say for $49.00 I can keep it on there. Now my question is could I download Avast and place that on instead of Norton? Thank you.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
As a simple answer yes... Download the Norton Removal tool and the latest Avast to your desktop

Avast Free
Norton removal tool

Then uninstall Norton via control panel programmes and features
Once completed run the Norton removal tool
Finally install Avast selecting Custom install

After Avast has installed and rebooted unless you want Chrome deselect it

Posted Image

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right. That is good news for me. Thank you for helping me with this. I was not too sure with a new laptop if I had to get Norton or not. Glad I don't. I have Avast on my desktop and really am happy with it. Once more thank you.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My pleasure, if you have any questions about Avast there is an active forum here

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I have another problem with a question. Time Warner put Firefox on my Desktop and my Laptop has Google Chrome. I am trying to figure both of them out but just don't seem to be able to do the Chrome one at all. Someone told me I could put a mouse on my Laptop, is this right? I want to copy and paste your reply so I can do exactly what you said. I have no problem with Fire Fox but just cannot figure out how to do Chrome. I have no idea how to get rid of Chrome and put Firefox on my laptop. If I am confusing you, I am sorry but I really would like to have both computers have the same thing on them. I already have Avast on the desktop and now I want to put it on the Laptop but can not seem to copy and paste with Chrome at all. Please tell me what I am doing wrong here. Thank you.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
To fully uninstall chrome follow the directions here

I always use a mouse with a laptop as the touchpad drives me mad... They are fairly cheap and there is a selection here

As you have windows 7 then I would recommend IE10 as the browser of choice, it works straight out of the box nothing to add :) and it is, to my mind the most secure browser

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
IE10 Sounds good for both my machines. Question once again. Can I keep Roadrunner as my home page if I download this? May sound different, but I never put either browser on either machine. I am comfortable with Roadrunner for I got used to all its differences after I had used Yahoo. I do thank you for your help and I will be getting me a mouse. The Lap top was a gift for my 45 anniversary and it is very new to me. I have been working on it for a good deal of time without much success. So I think I will take off Firefox and Chrome and then download IE10. I should be able to do that. Thank you for all your help. Love the computer but at times I wonder why.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
IE10 is available here

To set Road Runner as your home page:

Go to the page you want as home
In IE10 select the tools icon (top right cog)
[attachment=61788:Capture1.JPG]
Select Internet Options
On the home page bit select use current
[attachment=61789:Capture.JPG]

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right, now do I remove Foxfire and Chrome before I download IE10? I also still have to take off Norton's and put on Avast on the Laptop. I will be at work on this and if I have a problem, I will come right back to you. Thank you so much for your time and all your help.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Uninstall FF and Chrome after IE10 is installed, remember to uncheck chrome when you install Avast :)

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you. I am glad you reminded me about that but I have printed off what you have said and it is there. Have a wonderful day.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Glad to be of assistance .. As I say the Avast forum is very active, if you have any questions (biased opinion I do some work there :) )

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
You know, I am somewhat afraid to remove these browsers for what if I mess up and hurt this computer. I am nervous about it all. I so want to put IE10 on but does it tell me all I have to do to download it.? And afterwards what I have to do? My grandchildren say some people should not have a computer and they tell me this all the time. But, I so enjoy it and I am willing to learn if they had the patience to slow down and show me. So sorry to be a problem. I seem to do that when I come here.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Nothing .. Once it is downloaded and installed that will become your primary browser

It should place an icon on the desktop.. Just click and away you go

Removing the browsers will not harm the computer

You are never to old to learn, trust me :)

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Okay, I will get to that after lunch. Thank you...