Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton"s Virus CD [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right, here is what I had to do. My Desk top is XP so I could not download IE10; I have put Chrome on it. I have put Avast on and I was going to put IE10 on the Laptop but they said it is new and may be having problems as of yet. Do you think I should download 9 until they get the bugs out. As you can tell, I really don't need any problems to occur. I would be back here bugging you. You guys on here are great. I tell all my friends who are elderly also how wonderful you are working with me. They also have problems and far too often take their computer to a shop to get something simple fixed. So I do really brag about Geeks to Go. I will wait until I hear from you on the IE9 or IE10. You have been such a big help. I have managed to do all you have instructed. Thank you for all your patience.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I have been using IE10 on both windows 7 and 8 for a while now with no problems, so I have no qualms in agreeing to you installing it. I did not realise the other was XP, in which case IE8 is the best you can get for that

I have no problems with you "bugging" me :lol: That is what I am here for. At the end of the day it is getting the computer where you are happy with it, no one else, just you

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas. Going to Alabama this year and hope it is warmer there.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Anywhere will be warmer than Cornwall :lol:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Now I can believe that.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I am having problems with the Norton Removal Tool. Every time I download it it starts to begin to remove things from Norton. Each time it has done this and now I need to either cancel it once more or let it go on and remove what it wants to.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Seems as if my Lap top did not want to download Avast. when I finally got it downloaded they wanted me to register before 30 days and that my free Avast will last only 30 days. I Will need to get into this tomorrow for I have to get a few things done here. I know I had to of done something wrong for Avast went on my Desk top fine and they have never told me to register or that it is only good for 30 days. Norton just did not want to go off. They kept telling me I could get it for one year for so much money. It is gone now. Want my Laptop working before we take off for Ala. so maybe you have an idea of where I went wrong on the download. Thank you.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Avast will need registering for a year (free) this is so that they can balance the server load. Avast has what are called streaming updates in addition to normal updates. Streaming updates are for any new viruses that they want to push out fast rather than wait for a new daily update
There is a step by step guide here and should take no more than 30 seconds

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
It will not let me register for it says my email address is invalid. It updated as I turned it on today so I know it is downloaded. I have tried and tried to register and it just will not let me. Even with where you sent me. Should I take it off and try to get it to working like it is on my Desk top? Now, I still have Chrome on the lap top for I wanted to get everything else down before I went to IE10.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I have just registered for you using one of my old e-mail addresses, I will PM the licence shortly . In fact look at your PM it should have arrived.. As a curiosity what is your email.. Just the last bit i.e. @Hotmail or @gmail

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I am on roadrunner.com I was so excited for I thought I did it. Thank you for your help. I kept trying and they just would not let me in. I so appreciate you help.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Seems as though Avast is a bit wary of that e-mail

Did you receive the PM with the licence ?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Yes I did. And I need to know where you want me to keep it. On the Desk top of the Lap top and then where on either one. I have it copied down and ready to place it where you instruct me to do so.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
One licence will cover both computers, so on the one that is not yet registered type in the same licence code, press register and you should be done :)

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
All right, both computers are registered now. Thank you. The Lap top is ready for the trip. I am ready to go south for they do nothing in a hurry down there. Slow way down. You have been such a help to me with this. And I thought it would be so easy. Once again, I thank you.