Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

find windows log of files/folders on jump drive after unplugged?

• Please log in to reply

moscatomg1

moscatomg1

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hi all,

Before seeking further help on a previous, potential but still unsolved virus/malware problem, I first just have a technical, hypothetical question:

Is there *any* even remotely possible way that I (or a tech. guru helping me) can search my windows registry or other kind of log to find a list of files that were on a usb/jump drive that was plugged into my computer but, hence the problem, not plugged in/available anymore?

Specifically, I’m wondering if this is at all possible b/c I know that windows will often do a quick auto scan/search of folders (even files?) on a usb drive when it’s initially inserted.

If you’re curious for the long story: I wonder if something somehow infected or otherwise damaged my sys. performance when a student of mine a while back plugged his drive into my computer when originally he was only trying to give me some late assignments. . . . Anyway, with all the previous tech. help I’ve had that unfortunately could not resolve this problem, I was wondering about this method—so that there may be a way of first seeing what was on that student’s darn jump drive in the first place that may have caused any of my sys. problems.

Thank you!

Toshiba NB505
Windows 7 Home Premium
Intel Atom CPU N455 @ 1.66 GHz
RAM 2.00 GB
32 bit OS

Edited by moscatomg1, 30 November 2012 - 03:22 PM.

Advertisements