Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Home network with shared DSL connection

• Please log in to reply

Nabbles

Nabbles

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I used to consider myself a capable computer user, and I thought "how hard could it be to set up a wireless network in my home"....apparently I know nothing, lol.

Here's the prob. I picked up a D-LInk DI624 router and have followed the enclosed instructions and repeated ad nauseum...and I'm not even at the wireless part yet. My desktop is connected to the router via ethernet cable, and it recognises it's there and let's me access the config utility. the router is connected to my DSL modem, but no matter what I do, it will not connect to my ISP. the WAN light is on (for the most part) but when I click on connect in the setup utility, it just endlessly says connecting. I have it set up as PPPoE and have my username and Password entered, but I get nothing. Another prob is when I enter my password in the appropriate spot and click save, when I open the utility up the password suddenly has about 16 extra characters to it (this happens with my old internet setup as well, but never seemed to cause a problem, so I wasn't sure if it was relevent)
Incidentally, my notebook also recognises that the network is there, but can't seem to connect to either the internet or my desktop.

Please help me if you can.

Nabbles :tazz:

Advertisements

Nabbles

Nabbles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, I've now also tried setting this up with one computer connected to the DSL modem (USB) and that computer also connected to my router. Then I've tried setting up my laptop (both plugged into the router and wirelessly) and set it up using the netsetup file my desktop created, with still no luck.

Both computers can see the network, but they can't see or communicate with each other. The internet still does not work on the notebook, but of course it is working on the desktop (connected directly) Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

Nabbles

Nabbles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, I have the internet working through the router ( actually a simple fix, In PPPoE set just don't use a service name, just your User and Pass, and don't set it for always connected)

NoW, I am still having problems with the network itself. The computers both see the router, and can both use the internet connection, but they can not see each other. I have disabled the firewalls on both computers and used the network setup wizard to no avail. I have set the folders I need to accept sharing, but still no luck. Any suggestions would be awesome. Otherwise I'll just keep pluggin away at it.

-Nabbs

Nabbles

Nabbles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, I'm still having no luck with accessing files through my network. When I open up my network places, and choose the folder that the files is in I get this message.

name\folder is not accessable.  You might not have permission to use this network resource.  Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Access is denied.

I could really use some help on this...please...

-Nabbs*

RogueComGeek

RogueComGeek

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
try adding guest in the permissions of the shared folder. (make sure a guess can logon) as i understand the everyone permission is everyone's account on that computer can log on remotly (including shared)

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
If you are running service pack 2 on them then go into the windows firewall config and enable file/printer sharing.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Nabbles

Nabbles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey Guys, I thought I'd open this up again. I got the initial problem solved, and the network is working great...well, sort of. Now my internet connection (DSL) which is also running through my router is having probs. It will stay connected for about 5 mins and then disconnent. In the Log file what I see is PADT TAG disconnect. Dlink's website has nothing about this, and all I see to run into is dead ends! Please someone help me!