Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

new components, no screen

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So I just bought a new motherboard and CPU for my system, got everything installed and all the fans kick on but the screen wont register anything.
I checked my PSU and GPU and they both work fine, I also tried plugging my monitor directly into the motherboard video input and nothing.
Any thoughts?

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,711 posts
Gday hawkwing21, Posted Image

When working on the computer, please make sure the power is switched off, you have taken anti static measures, even when handling parts.

If the New Mobo is a different brand/model,
Did you change the I/O shield for the one in the Mobo box?
Did you check that the stand offs match exactly the pattern and number of screw holes in the Mobo? No extra ones.
Did you ensure TIM was used when installing the cooler?
Have you connect both the 24 volt and auxiliary 12 volt cables to the Mobo.

I suggest a basic test with the Mobo installed, and only the following connected, the CPU, > cooler, with fan connected to the CPU header, > 1 stick of RAM, > monitor connected to the integrated graphics, (ports matching) > Nothing else connected.
Switch on the PSU, >with a small screw driver, briefly short out the 2 power on pins on the Mobo, > enter BIOS by using the appropriate key for your Mobo.
Please post the result.