Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rare Laptop CPU Upgrade: Is it possible?!

• Please log in to reply

Brickstin

Brickstin

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright I have been doing some testing: a friend of mine wants to upgrade an old laptop to get some more pep out of it..

So far I know for a fact that the laptop mobo can support a 533 FSB

Which means the board can support a max BUS speed of 133.

THis laptop is a Compaq Presario 2580US Notebook PC

The max MEM the mobo can support I believe is 1024 MB

Now.. this has pc2100 so it can run a max bus speed of 133 = 133 x 2 for RAM = 266mhz

The processor that is on the mobo is a 400BUS speed CPU Running @ 2300 MHz Take 400 and Devide by 4 = 100

so the ram is only operating at 100 BUS speed = 200 double rate.

Well I decided to do a test for more CPU power and Ram ratio.

Considering I don't have any intel P4 Mobile Processors. I found a 533FSB processor with a 2.533mhz total speed

here is the info on the processor I have

http://www.cpu-world...c/SL/SL6DW.html

The original CPU this http://www.cpu-world...32GC052512.html

Well anyhow the SL6DW 2.5 ghz cpu i popped in.. IT WORKS. But it is very unstable and it freezes a lot.. ONly way to keep it running is to Have the AC on blast cool and have the laptop half open to allow much cool air into the CPU area and fans.

I am guessing it is not stable because the CPU that I Popped in was designed for desktop use and uses a completely different voltage which I did check. one I popped in varies from 1.475V - 1.525V

I think its operating around 1.5Volts even. I have no way of being entirely sure though; sensor programs like CPUID and others I have tried cant detect it only cpu temp.

Anyhow once I shut off the AC unit the *Cs went from 43*C to 57*C.. thats when it died on me.

I'm not entirely sure if the temps matters to much to the Mobo completely because the original CPU that is in there actually burns a few *Cs hotter then the Desktop CPU.

Anyhow considering that I was able to use CPUID to read 533FSB BUS Speed 133mhz I am guessing It may be possible to grab a P4 Mobile CPU that is slightly faster with a 133 Sys BUS / 533FSB and pop it in there and maybe it could work?

Has anyone ever had any experience in doing something like this with a particular Mobile system board configuration?

Thanks in advance,
Erick.

Advertisements