Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increasingly frequent BSOD's

• Please log in to reply

toinfernal

toinfernal

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello,

I am writing in the name of a friend of mine, who's got some issues with her laptop. It's been crashing a lot recently, and now it's escalated to the point where a blue screen appears once or twice a day. Apparently there's no repeatable pattern, but the error is the same. The blue screens appear since she had the laptop, since January.I've ran WhoCrashed and the pc pit stop utility, and here are the reports:
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 12/1/2012 8:19:28 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\120112-28204-01.dmp
uptime: 00:31:30
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7EFC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F3F407, 0xFFFFF8800ADFEB50, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 12/1/2012 8:19:28 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
uptime: 00:31:30
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F3F407, 0xFFFFF8800ADFEB50, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 11/27/2012 5:34:50 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112712-27128-01.dmp
uptime: 00:07:51
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F4335F, 0xFFFFF8800CD83B50, 0x0)

On Mon 11/26/2012 8:19:15 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112612-29296-01.dmp
uptime: 01:01:50
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F8135F, 0xFFFFF8800AEBEB50, 0x0)

On Sun 11/25/2012 10:44:23 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112612-60309-01.dmp
uptime: 14:28:40
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F3035F, 0xFFFFF8800D1EEB50, 0x0)

On Thu 11/22/2012 11:18:35 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112212-24414-01.dmp
uptime: 02:32:16
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F3135F, 0xFFFFF8800CB7AB50, 0x0)

On Thu 11/22/2012 8:18:40 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112212-24694-01.dmp
uptime: 18:13:58
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F8D35F, 0xFFFFF8800CFF8B50, 0x0)

On Wed 11/21/2012 1:40:42 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112112-28111-01.dmp
uptime: 07:18:00
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F7E35F, 0xFFFFF8800CF45B50, 0x0)

On Mon 11/19/2012 6:42:44 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111912-26208-01.dmp
uptime: 02:40:13
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F84407, 0xFFFFF8800D189B50, 0x0)

On Mon 11/19/2012 5:13:02 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111912-21496-01.dmp
uptime: 01:03:27
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F40407, 0xFFFFF8800CFB8B50, 0x0)

On Sat 11/17/2012 11:05:47 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111812-29062-01.dmp
uptime: 10:01:32
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F7335F, 0xFFFFF8800D17BB50, 0x0)

On Fri 11/16/2012 2:42:41 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111612-26161-01.dmp
uptime: 08:17:40
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F8435F, 0xFFFFF8800CB8CB50, 0x0)

On Wed 11/14/2012 5:53:53 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111412-37736-01.dmp
uptime: 11:52:03
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7EF90)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Fri 11/9/2012 2:35:18 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110912-26395-01.dmp
uptime: 09:44:49
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F3235F, 0xFFFFF8800CDE8B50, 0x0)

On Fri 10/26/2012 8:43:22 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102612-24476-01.dmp
uptime: 14:50:15
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80002F7935F, 0xFFFFF8800CF21B50, 0x0)

PC Pit stop:
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25153642

Thank you for your help!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
toinfernal

If this means

The blue screens appear since she had the laptop, since January.

that the laptop was new in January, as against NEW to your friend, then before you OR indeed I start to carry out any form of analysis and trouble shooting - the ONLY proper course of action is AND was when they started to take it back to the supplier
Although unlikely there is a very REAL possibility that there is faulty hardware

and indeed, unless the OS has been reinstalled it would appear that NEW in Jan is the case

System OS Install Date 1/5/2012 9:51:33 PM

Additionally and please remember that I do not know your level of knowledge, so please do not be offended, the more you try and the more fixes you run, depending on what they are, the less the chance of the supplier fixing it under warrantry and service agreement

Edited by Macboatmaster, 03 December 2012 - 04:48 PM.

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thank you, i'll go to the supplier this week and i'll update you

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for replying will wait to hear from you

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry for the wait, the service took forever and after that I had my exams. I took my laptop to service and they replaced my hard disk. I also received a report stating that memry testing came out well with the new hdd. It came back with an installed windows, but I couldn't get it to create additional partitions, so I decided to reinstall it. When I reinstalled the windows, while i was formatting my third partition, a blue screen appeared, but I can't remember the message. After that, I begun receiving increasingly frequent bsods, most of them with the message: system service exception, but also: reference by pointer, exception not supported or smth like that and also, one time while I was watching a movie it appeared that the video card has crashed. Yesterday it crashed because of an ACPI.sys file. Now I receive a bsod every 30-60 min, depending on what I'm doing on the laptop. Also, it overheats. It still is in warranty but I fear that if I take it to service again, I'll wait another month and they'll just replace the hdd.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

It came back with an installed windows, but I couldn't get it to create additional partitions

When it came back with an installed windows, HOW did you try to create extra partitions.

Additionally and if we presume for the moment it is not something you have done then this

Also, it overheats

indicates that it was another fault on the computer.

The choice is yours but I would strongly recommend that, even considering the inconvenience, you do take it back and show them, what happens.

Hope the exams went OK

If you wish to proceed send me please attached here the last couple of dump files.

That is open C drive, open Windows, scroll to Minidump for Memory.dmp and open that and then copy the last two and attach them here, by going Use full editor on reply

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
My exams went fine, thank you for your concern! But they kept me from concentrating on the computer problems though.
Could you indicate me a way to test if it's overheating, please? I considered this only by my comfort standards, maybe it's supposed to run at those temperatures.
Regarding shrinking the volume, all the space was allocated to C: drive, so I tried using the Shrink option, from Disk Management. But it wouldn't let me shrink it by more than ~20gb, even after defragmenting it and uninstalling absolutely everything (I had only installed a few programs after receiving the laptop). It worked fine with a 600gb C: partition, but, as I said, I wasn't using it very much.
I would like to try a few solutions, before sending it to service. Maybe it's some software that I installed, which I didn't have when using the 600gb C: partition.
Thank you for your quick response, I'll try to keep you updated as well as I can.
Here are the minidump files:

Attached Files

• Attached File  Dump.rar   39.3KB   119 downloads

Edited by toinfernal, 10 March 2013 - 03:21 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. So when you reinstalled it - what now have you partioned the drive to, as when you reinstall windows, if it was from the dvd you can then decide what size parttion to use and then deal with the unallocated space after in Disk Management

2. To save me having to copy and paste the dump analysis, as with respect you will I think only understand what I tell you, please do not be annoyed about that, but it no use me copying and pasting all the two dumps and then saying - this is what you should look at - SO

A. If you use torrents, and P2P downloads and software you can very easily, test your anti-virus to the limits and acquire an infection.

One of the crashes was caused by this

http://www.bitcomet.com/

so if you have it installed, uninstall it. - eg. the Bit Torrent download client

B. Have you since you reinstalled, visited windows updates and installed all updates, and of course if the installation did not include SP1 then that as well

C. Have you since you reinstalled been to the HP site and checked against you service tag for any driver updates.

D. I feel that it may be best to start again - but before you do lets see how we progress

HOWEVER having uninstalled Bit. Comet and any other similar software of that ilk, download this and run a quick scan

Malwarebytes - the free edition

http://www.malwareby...warebytes_free/

on the download when it changes to CNet check carefully please that you are clicking on the Malwarebytes and NOT some other advertised software

Please post what if anything it finds.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 March 2013 - 04:01 PM.

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have uninstalled HP software (because I don't need it anymore) and bitcomet, run all windows updates and as a result the frequency of the bsods has decreased drastically. I shall run malwarebytes tomorow and I'll update you with the results. Thank you for your help!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are welcome please keep me posted and also send me the last crash dump

I will analyse that and post it back to you with my interpretation of the dump

Advertisements

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I'm sorry, but I didn't quite understand what you wanted to say about posting the crash dumps. Could you please instruct me how to upload them, please? If I try uploading the .dmp files, the site says I'm not permitted to upload this kind of file.
Also I didn't understand what you wanted to say about starting again.
I have run Malwarebytes and it didn't find anything, I added a log if you need it.
Again, sorry for the misunderstandings, I am trying to be as cooperative as I can.

Attached Files

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Re the dump - as you did in post 7 please

2. Re starting again - sorry I did not make it more clear. I meant

It came back with an installed windows, but I couldn't get it to create additional partitions, so I decided to reinstall it. When I reinstalled the windows,

INSTALL it again. However as I said

I feel that it may be best to start again - but before you do lets see how we progress

3. Re MBAM, as you say it did not find anything. So we may at the moment presume the problem does not lie with any infection.

4. Send me another Pitstop please, as you did in your opening Post

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 March 2013 - 12:25 PM.

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Although I haven't installed any new program since the last reply (except for the java updates), the frequency of the bsods has increased again in the last week and a half. Also, I have some windows updates that can't seem to run, I can't download and run them to 100%, they stop at 98% or less.

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25277724

Thank you for the clarification!

Attached Files

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
While I analyse the dump file you have 8GB of temp files

1. Run a diskclean up - NOT any 3rd party software - Windows disk cleanup

2. GO IE Safety button and delete browsing history

I will look at the dump

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The dump

Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7600.17207.amd64fre.win7_gdr.130104-1435
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`02c0a000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`02e46e70
Debug session time: Fri Mar 22 03:15:57.891 2013 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:11:19.280
* Bugcheck Analysis *

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b)
An exception happened while executing a system service routine.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000000c0000005, Exception code that caused the bugcheck
Arg2: fffff80002c82d7c, Address of the instruction which caused the bugcheck
Arg3: fffff8800a5cd100, Address of the context record for the exception that caused the bugcheck
Arg4: 0000000000000000, zero.

Debugging Details:
------------------

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\modclass.ini, error 2

EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

FAULTING_IP:
nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+17c
fffff800`02c82d7c 4c8938 mov qword ptr [rax],r15

CONTEXT: fffff8800a5cd100 -- (.cxr 0xfffff8800a5cd100)
rax=19fffa8007461b68 rbx=0000000000000000 rcx=fffffa8007461b68
rdx=0000000000000000 rsi=fffffa8007461b60 rdi=fffffa800ae87b60
rip=fffff80002c82d7c rsp=fffff8800a5cdad0 rbp=0000000000000000
r8=fffff78000000008 r9=0000000000000000 r10=0000000000000001
r11=fffff880009ec180 r12=0000000000000000 r13=0000000000000000
r14=0000000000000000 r15=fffffa800ae87c68
iopl=0 nv up ei pl zr na po nc
cs=0010 ss=0018 ds=002b es=002b fs=0053 gs=002b efl=00010246
nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x17c:
fffff800`02c82d7c 4c8938 mov qword ptr [rax],r15 ds:002b:19fffa80`07461b68=????????????????
Resetting default scope

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x3B

PROCESS_NAME: FlashPlayerPlu

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from fffff80002f6fec2 to fffff80002c82d7c

STACK_TEXT:
fffff880`0a5cdad0 fffff800`02f6fec2 : 00000000`00000000 fffff800`00000006 00000000`00000001 00000000`00000000 : nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x17c
fffff880`0a5cdb70 fffff800`02c78a93 : fffffa80`0ae87b60 00000000`000010cc 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`07461b60 : nt!NtWaitForSingleObject+0xb2
fffff880`0a5cdbe0 00000000`71f02dd9 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiSystemServiceCopyEnd+0x13
00000000`0512eae8 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : 0x71f02dd9

FOLLOWUP_IP:
nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+17c
fffff800`02c82d7c 4c8938 mov qword ptr [rax],r15

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 0

SYMBOL_NAME: nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+17c

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nt

IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlmp.exe

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 50e79b73

STACK_COMMAND: .cxr 0xfffff8800a5cd100 ; kb

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x3B_nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+17c

BUCKET_ID: X64_0x3B_nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+17c

AS highlighted in red the crash occurred in Flash Player but that does NOT mean that it is Flash Player that is the CAUSE of it.

I suspect either your graphics driver OR possibly a page file/ memory problem

The reason I say that is - this is the error

http://msdn.microsof...v=3DVS.85).aspx

System Service Exception - also shown in red on the dump

So what we will do now is to proceed first with that disk clean up and then post back and I will give you the next steps