Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Increasingly frequent BSOD's

• Please log in to reply

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have run windows disk clean up and I have deleted the IE browsing history, as you told me. Now I am waiting for the next steps. If this information helps, usually the BSODs occure while I am using Flash Player on my explorer or when I am watching a movie..

Edited by toinfernal, 23 March 2013 - 03:06 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

usually the BSODs occure while I am using Flash Player on my explorer or when I am watching a movie..

Indeed that is what I highlighted on the crash dump analysis

1. Download the driver for your graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GT 520MX on that Asus K53SC

download and install the latest from here. Setting the download for your operating system etc.

http://www.asus.com/.../K53SC/#support

Reboot and retest

2. If it is still no good

I see you use Firefox - you may either try IE instead of Firefox and see if the crash still occurs

If it does not and you really prefer Firefox then go here

http://support.mozil...re-acceleration

and disable hardware acceleration

REBOOT and RETEST

3. If it is still no good proceed to the next step

http://support.mozil...-1-update-flash

You have Flash version 11.2 update by clicking on the link - noting the caution about Google Chrome and ensuring you UNCHECK the box, which is checked by default

REBOOT and try again - please note after any changes reboot is necessary before testing.

4. If that is no good try the next step of downgrading Flash to 10.3 - explained on the link above at my item 3, but further down the page

under the heading

Solution 2: Downgrade to Flash 10.3

5 IF ALL THAT fails to resolve the problem when you post back I will give you some more possible solutions

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 March 2013 - 10:23 AM.

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry for the late response, but I wanted to try all the solutions you gave me. I still experience bsods, and the frequency of them varies from day to day.

I have installed the latest driver for my graphics card from asus, though the latest update was on 29.06.2011 (I tried the link you sent me, but it said bad request, so I downloaded it from here: http://support.asus....mxEvf3TFaWwIvxq ). Also, I tried using IE instead of Mozilla Firefox. I still experienced bsods.

I returned to Mozilla, disabled hardware acceleration, installed the latest update of flash player, but the problem persists. Now I have downgraded Flash player to 10.3, but still have bsods..

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Now I have downgraded Flash player to 10.3, but still have bsods..

by using first the uninstaller as on the link - ?

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
yes

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
. Uninstall Mozilla maintenance service please

http://support.mozil...tenance-service

then test again please AFTER rebooting.

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Should I use IE? When I try watching videos on it, it doesn't recognise any Flash player installed and it requires me to do so, though on Opera and even Mozilla I don't have any problem. I have been using Opera for the last week and the bsods still occured. I have uninstalled Mozilla Firefox now and I'll update you with the results in a couple of days.

Edited by toinfernal, 07 April 2013 - 01:12 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I have uninstalled Mozilla Firefox now and I'll update you with the results in a couple of days.

You jumped ahead a little did you not, I said the

. Uninstall Mozilla maintenance service please

My thinking was it was this was changing back the Mozilla flash plug in

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Also found what I was looking for before

http://helpx.adobe.c...s-video-or.html

and had you not uninstalled Firefox, this link - a sub link on the one above

http://helpx.adobe.c...sh-mozilla.html

may have helped

Edited by Macboatmaster, 07 April 2013 - 01:31 PM.

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I think that the mozilla maintenence service was unistalled together with firefox, as I have no "maintenence service" folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Maintenance Service. I've looked over the link you gave me regarding flash issues, but I can't see a pattern in these blue screens, so testing every component in safe mode would be kind of a guess. Should I try using a test profile for windows or for my web browser (currently opera)?
Today I've received a few blue screens while reading a PDF with adobe reader, no other program running. Could this rule out flash or firefox as being the problem?
PS: I've noticed something peculiar this evening, while playing a video on youtube: the sound was playing on, the power button was on, but the screen was black as if it was shut down, so I had to restart as anything i tried to do didn't work.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Today I've received a few blue screens while reading a PDF with adobe reader, no other program running. Could this rule out flash or firefox as being the problem?

not necessarily as if there is flash content in the pdf then reader still uses flash player

2. Indeed it was

think that the mozilla maintenence service was unistalled together with firefox

I was trying to say that if you had not uninstalled firefox the way forward may have been the link I sent.

3. Using Opera

Personally I think the way forward NOW is to use IE and lets see if we can get it right on there.

Then if we can and you do not like IE for some reason, we can explore that problem, once we get it correct, if indeed we do, on that browser IE

4. Therefore working towards that I think you should use IE check for updates on it and then use this if you still have problems

http://helpx.adobe.c...s-video-or.html

Edited by Macboatmaster, 15 April 2013 - 03:30 PM.

toinfernal

toinfernal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have tried using IE for a short while, but it didn't seem to do any good.
For the last week i've been on holiday, so I've thought that it would be the best time to take the laptop into service, as I have little work to do. I hope you won't take this as a mean of abandoning your advice, but this really is the only time I can do without my laptop and not lag behind projects.
I've received today an e-mail regarding the repair, with the details :
-replaced mb ;N0AS1142MB0145665 ( I don't know what this is, the word mb may be short for something in my language)
-replaced cooling system, cleaned dust
-battery is malfunctioning but out of warranty
-tests OK
Would you like me to keep you updated with the progress?
Thank you for your help so far!

Edited by toinfernal, 02 May 2013 - 09:53 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Motherboard I would think, but I cannot get a match anywhere on the long number.letters

Cooling system - will be CPU - Central processing unit cooler

Was this under warrantry, if not it will be rather costly

If you se the laptop in a very dusty atmosphere, ensure you regularly blow the dust out of the cooling vents with an air duster spray.

Good luck with it.