Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! My computer won't let me download literally ANYTHING

• Please log in to reply

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Here is the log for the Event Viewer Application

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 31/01/2013 8:26:22 PM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
'Application' Log - Warning Type

Advertisements

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Well that was interesting-I went to find browser.download.dir, but it wasn't there!! The closest to it was browser.download.lastDir, which said user set under Status and string Type with a Value of C:\Users\Livsie\Desktop, and browser.download.useDownloadDir with a Status of user set, Type boolean, and Value false.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Just a note, I hesitate to do anything else in Firefox, not having been able to do that first step, so I'll wait for you to give me the go-ahead.

And seriously, thank you both so much

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Did you reboot after clearing the logs and before running VEW? If not please reboot and run VEW again.

Leave Speedfan in C. You don't have to understand it. Just know that if it is under 50 it's OK. Over 50 is not OK. 27 is very good so keep speedfan running - I think if you minimize it you will see the temp in the systray near the clock. Just make sure it doesn't go over 50. If it does tell me. If it hits 70 I would turn it off for a while.

What version of Firefox do you have? Click on Firefox then click on the arrow after Help and then click on About Firefox and it should tell you. Mine is at 18.0.1

Can you make a screen shot of the about:config page with the first download entry at the top?

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Aha! That's why the logs were blank! Here's the new System log

Report run at 31/01/2013 11:23:36 PM

'System' Log - Critical Type
'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 7:21:51 AM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 36 Source: volsnap
The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 7:15:00 AM
Event: 10016 Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1} and APPID {344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B} to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 7:14:39 AM
Event: 14332 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMPNSS-Service
Service 'WMPNetworkSvc' did not start correctly because CoCreateInstance(CLSID_UPnPDeviceFinder) encountered error '0x80004005'. Verify that the UPnPHost service is running and that the UPnPHost component of Windows is installed properly.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 7:13:44 AM
Event: 7000 Source: Service Control Manager
The Google Update Service (gupdate) service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 4:54:32 AM
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C97FCC79-E628-407D-AE68-A06AD6D8B4D1} and APPID {344ED43D-D086-4961-86A6-1106F4ACAD9B} to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 4:44:32 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 4:34:32 AM

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 4:24:32 AM

'System' Log - Warning Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 7:13:25 AM
Type: Warning Category: 0
Event: 1 Source: RTL8167
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller is disconnected from network.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 4:57:44 AM
Event: 1014 Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client
Name resolution for the name isatap.Duh timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 4:57:36 AM
Event: 4001 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig
WLAN AutoConfig service has successfully stopped.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 4:57:33 AM
Event: 10002 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WLAN-AutoConfig
WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped. Module Path: C:\Windows\System32\bcmihvsrv64.dll

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Here is the Application log!

Report run at 31/01/2013 11:25:20 PM

'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
'Application' Log - Warning Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 01/02/2013 7:13:47 AM
Event: 1 Source: LMS
LMS Service cannot connect to Intel® MEI driver

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
OH DANG Firefox is way out of date-6.0.2. Should I apply the update?

Okay obvious question but, which temperature should I be looking at? I first looked at Temp1 but now I'm not sure
My current speedfan temps are
HD0: 36C
Temp1: 27C
Temp2: 0C
Core0: 82C
Core1: 82C

Here is a screenshot of what comes up for the first download-I included the rest of the list just in case, I hope that's okay! If not I can definitely take another one!

Attached Thumbnails

• Firefox Download sc.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
These two are your CPU temps:

Core0: 82C
Core1: 82C

These are way too hot. You need to make sure the vents are not blocked. In Speed Fan click on Automatic Fan Speed. If it doesn't get cooler soon you need to shut it down and let it cool off.

It would be good to update Firefox if you can. Then we have the same options to work with.

Right click on Computer and selct Manage (Continue) then Services and Applications then Services. Find
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and right click and select Properties. Change the Startup Type to Manual then Apply. OK
Repeat for Google Update Service (gupdate) service

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Good to know! Right now they are at 72 and 73, respectively. I use my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1440) on my desk now, but for a while I did have it on my bed-how would I go about cleaning out the dust? Air compressor to blow compressed air? Vaccum? (I have both)

I got Firefox up to Version 12.0-I attempted to install the other updates but it failed, but it didn't say why.

I just did the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and the Google Update Service!

(Also, I've got work in 5 hours, so I gotta go to bed, but I'll be back to it tomorrow!! And seriously, thank you so much, I honestly can't thank you and Maliprog enough for helping me with this)

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Maybe a little of both. Leaving it on the bed is not a good idea. It needs to be on a hard surface or the vents get blocked.

Does Firefox 12 have the about:config entries I was talking about?

Bedtime for me too.

Advertisements

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Okay so when I started Firefox the next time, it actually managed to get up to 18.01. HOWEVER It did not have the first entry that you mentioned, browser.download.dir, though it did have the others. ALSO I toggled the ScanWhenDone AND IT WORKED!!! I downloaded a Word document I really needed!!! Thank you so so much!! Do you think something similar would work for Chrome and Internet Explorer?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
I'm not sure about Chrome or IE but most browsers look to IE for their setting so probably something in IE is messed up. Firefox is nice because it has so many options (as you saw in the about:config page). Chrome has only a few.

Open IE then click on the gear in the upper right then Click the Safety button, then Turn on SmartScreen Filter, and then click Turn Off SmartScreen Filter. Click OK. Close IE and reopen it and see if it will download something.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Darn, okay! I did that, and it still said that the file contained a virus and was deleted :(

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Can you make a screen shot of the warning you get?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Open Internet Explorer

(Click the gear)

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Security tab.

Click the Trusted sites icon, and then click Custom level.

In the Security Settings dialog box, scroll to find Use SmartScreen Filter, and then click Disable.

Click OK,twice then close IE and reopen it. Go to the website you want to download from and then
(Click the gear)

Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

Click the Security tab.

Click the Trusted sites icon,
Click the Sites button. Add your current site to the list of trusted sites.
Then close IE and open IE and see if you can download from that site.