Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! My computer won't let me download literally ANYTHING

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Everything looks normal. OTL says that Avast is working. Is the Orange ball there? Can you click on it? (If not can you start it with All Programs,Avast Free Antivirus, Avast Free Antivirus ?) If you click on Maintenance what version does it have? 130205-1 is what mine shows.

Advertisements

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
My version is 7.0.1474 .It has the A ball with a big red X on it. When I start Avast, it says UNSECURED, that it has stopped or is in an inconsistent state. And when I click the button that says Start Program, it attempts to, but won't actually do it. When I try to update the program, it comes up with "Failed to update. The avast! service is not running."

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
I went back and looked at your previous OTL and there were a lot of Avast programs running in the MOD section. Look and see if you still have the definitions:

C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs\

There should be a folder 13012301 another one with \13012301_stream aswdefs.ini The number may vary. Mine now says 1302051. In the first folder should be a lot of files and especially uiext.dll

I'm thinking you may have had an update failure.

See if you can download the latest update

http://www.avast.com/download-update

You want the first one: avast! 5 & 6 & 7 series VPS update

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Okay so I have the same folder and it includes that file! And I installed the new version, but it says "VPS database is already up to date."

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Doesn't seem likely that autoruns could have killed Avast. Perhaps we had a hard drive glitch.

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, reboot. The test will take an hour or two to complete.

If that doesn't help then I would download Avast again. Then uninstall the current version, reboot and reinstall and see if that helps.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Just got word from out Avast expert. There was a bad update yesterday. Try the manual download again today. It should give you a newer version.

http://www.avast.com...download-update

I've also had confirmation from a second client that the noscan.reg fix works to stop the scan that is eating the download.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Oh okay! I uninstalled and reinstalled Avast, it's working now! AND Chrome AND Firefox both download files now!!!! YOU'RE THE BEST!! Internet Explorer is still giving me the same error message, even though I did do the noscan.reg merge, so I'm not sure if I did it wrong or not-should I try it again?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Let's see if the fix took:

Copy the next 3 lines:

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" /s > \junk.txt
reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies" /s >> \junk.txt
notepad \junk.txt

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied lines should appear.
Hit Enter. Notepad should open. Copy and paste the text from Notepad into a reply.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Here you go!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments
ScanWithAntiVirus REG_DWORD 0x1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoDrives REG_DWORD 0x0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ext\CLSID

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
{BDEADF00-C265-11D0-BCED-00A0C90AB50F} REG_DWORD 0x1
{6DFD7C5C-2451-11d3-A299-00C04F8EF6AF} REG_DWORD 0x40000021
{0DF44EAA-FF21-4412-828E-260A8728E7F1} REG_DWORD 0x20

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Ratings

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin REG_DWORD 0x5
ConsentPromptBehaviorUser REG_DWORD 0x3
EnableInstallerDetection REG_DWORD 0x1
EnableLUA REG_DWORD 0x1
EnableSecureUIAPaths REG_DWORD 0x1
EnableUIADesktopToggle REG_DWORD 0x0
EnableVirtualization REG_DWORD 0x1
PromptOnSecureDesktop REG_DWORD 0x1
ValidateAdminCodeSignatures REG_DWORD 0x0
dontdisplaylastusername REG_DWORD 0x0
legalnoticecaption REG_SZ
legalnoticetext REG_SZ
scforceoption REG_DWORD 0x0
shutdownwithoutlogon REG_DWORD 0x1
undockwithoutlogon REG_DWORD 0x1
FilterAdministratorToken REG_DWORD 0x0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\UIPI

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\UIPI\Clipboard

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\UIPI\Clipboard\ExceptionFormats
CF_TEXT REG_DWORD 0x1
CF_BITMAP REG_DWORD 0x2
CF_OEMTEXT REG_DWORD 0x7
CF_DIB REG_DWORD 0x8
CF_PALETTE REG_DWORD 0x9
CF_UNICODETEXT REG_DWORD 0xd
CF_DIBV5 REG_DWORD 0x11

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Uninstall

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
NoDrives REG_DWORD 0x0

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Network

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
It definitely took. You say it now works for Chrome and FF but not for IE? Can you try downloading something else with IE?

http://general-chang...de/2-adwcleaner

Do you get the same error?

Advertisements

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Yep! :(

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
get autoruns from
http://live.sysinter...om/autoruns.exe

Download Save and Run the program by right clicking and Run As Admin. File, Save, to your desktop, before you save it change the Save As Type: to txt then OK Attach (Do not copy and paste) the file autoruns.txt to your next reply.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Should I uninstall/delete the first Autoruns, then? I don't want to mess things up!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
No if you already have autoruns you can use that one.

Liv Scott

Liv Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Here you go!

Attached Files