Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Power supply problem.

• Please log in to reply

Gaberial

Gaberial

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello once again fellow geeks!

I come to you once again seeking your expertise on figuring out what is wrong with my computer. Over the last month or so I have had a problem that is becoming more and more regular. On occasion my computer sometimes will not boot up, instead the lights and fans kick on for a second or two then turn off, a few seconds later it does it again. Also, some times it would do it when the computer was cool after not being used for 18+ hours, other times it would start boot looping like this in the middle of a gaming session. The first time I wasnt sure at all what was going on so i took the computer apart and found out that somehow 3 of the screws holding in the motherboard had come loose. so after checking all the cables to make sure they were connected securely and tightened the screws back snugly I gave it another go. It ran beautifully. However tonight it started doing it again, so i took everything apart once more, this time nothing was loose, however I did run the cables from the PSU to the GPUs in a different configuration on a hunch. Now for the time being at least the system is back up and running.

If anyone could give me some ideas on how to figure out what is causing this would love some input. I fear this may be a sign my PSU is starting to crap out on me.

CPU: Intel Core I7-960
MoBo: Asus Rampage III Forumula
RAM: 6x4GB DDR3
GPU: EVGA 550Ti X3
PSU: Corsair 750Watt
Case: Antec DF85

This computer was a gift, I always thought the PSU seemed a little puny for this monster but it never really gave me problems till now. Hopefully yall are able to help me out.

If yall need additional system info let me know, will post it as well. Thanks again guys!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Gaberial

A 750W PSU is indeed underpowered for your installed hardware, based on the information that you have provided and allowing for one DVD/RW drive and one 7200rpm 3.5" HDD I can tell you that a PSU calculator recommended 765W so a minimum 800-800W quality brand PSU should be used to allow some headroom for your cooling fans + any other NIC or sound cards that you may have, refer to the attached link to check for yourself http://images10.newe...tage-Calculator

Depriving hardware from the power that it needs can lead to irreparable damage so fingers crossed that no harm has been done.

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks so much phill and had a feeling. The person who gave me the computer swore up and down that it was fine. Will have to look into upgrading the PSU. Any suggestions?

Was thinking about this one, Am really tight on money right now (holiday season n all)
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182072

As a Side note, for the time being, Think i will be taking out 2 of the GPUs to cut down on the power consumption of the system. I do not specificly need them for what I am using it for at this point in time.

Edited by Gaberial, 04 December 2012 - 08:35 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Rosewill is not a brand that I would purchase, Antec, Corsair, OCZ and Seasonic are all better quality brands.

If as I suggested earlier you have one DVD/RW drive and one HDD then you can safely run two cards in Sli as you will be well under 700W demand, for running the 3 cards I would use http://us.ncix.com/p...ir&promoid=1310

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
alright, and thank you again phill, you guys at Geeks2Go are always the most fabulous group of geeks to work with when I have a problem. Never do I get flack here for "not knowing enough" nor do I feel like I am being a burden for needing to ask. Do not know if yall get paid, but if you do, yall need a raise lol.

PS you where also right on the one optical drive (though it is a blu ray drive) and a 7200 RPM HDD ... you guys are good lol

Edited by Gaberial, 05 December 2012 - 09:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thank you for your kind words :thumbsup:

Your recommended PSU results are attached below (with Blu Ray drive :D ) and please ask as many questions as you feel that you need to;