Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Western Digital External HD Install Issue

• Please log in to reply

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Hello,

I am trying to install a WD External HD on a Windows Vista 64 bit computer. Model # is WDBACX0010BBK-01

When I plug it in, windows asks to install the driver, but it can't find the actual driver anywhere, so it asks for me to point it in the right direction. I downloaded the SES driver from the WD site, and put it in C:\Program Files\Western Digital\SES -- however, after the install (and reboot), there is no Western Digital file (I have hidden folders shown as well).

Through this whole process, the drive doesnt show up under My Computer, but it does show up in device manager with a yellow question mark next to it. I've tried uninstalling it from device manager and starting over, I've also tried 'updating' the driver from device manager as well.

I am at a loss for what to do.

As a side note, I know the drive works, because my macbook pro recognizes it, and it is formatted for NTFS.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Justin,

Are you connecting the disk to a desktop pc? If this is the case try connecting to the USB ports on the back of the case and not to the ports on the front panel or similar.

Also if the USB cable have to USB connections make sure you connect both because some units need extra power to work.
Posted Image

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I am connecting to a desktop PC. I've tried both the front and the back. In both cases, it prompts to install the drive, but nothing comes up in 'My Computer'.

The USB cable provided with the drive only have 1 USB port, not two. If it needed two, would it still prompt to install the drive?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

If the USB cable only have one connection then It should work, and windows vista doesn't need any extra drivers to use externals HDD's.
Maybe you have some problem with the windows files, try running sfc.

Open the Command Prompt as Administrator (Tutorial)
- type the command:
sfc /scannow

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I ran it, and it found some errors, but could not fix all of them. It said it put it in a log, but I get 'access denied' when I try to view the log.

Nonetheless, I tried plugging in the drive after, and it still attempts to install the driver, and does not show up in 'My Computer'