Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Asus G51JC-x3 laptop won't display anything

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
The flickering amber light means that the HDD is actively reading data, a frozen amber light means that the HDD is locked up, this can be due to a corrupt OS (software) or bad sectors on the HDD which is hardware related.

If the notebook will not boot up again remove the HDD and see if you can at least get into the BIOS, if you can reset and save the correct time and date.

A bad CMOS battery will revert the MB settings back to the date that the BIOS was first installed at 00.00hrs, this will happen every time that the power to the notebook is disconnected, you will normally receive a "checksum error" message when the computer boots, I am not saying that it is not possible but I have not come across a computer that will not start due to a bad CMOS battery.

Advertisements

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
No, it doesn't allow me to get to the BIOS any easier than with it in. The screen just remains black, which is why i'm so confused about what's wrong with it because it can post sometimes, but it doesn't seem to be any of the hardware causing it. the only thing i can assume is that there's something wrong with the motherboard in general.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Or a loose connection to/from the MB, if you investigate this possibility I would suggest replacing the MBs CMOS battery at the same time.

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Okay, so after much fiddling around with it, I have finally got the laptop back on.

After it first failed to turn on, I opened up the back and noticed a loose ram stick, so i reseated it. The laptop turned on, so i shut it off and screwed the back back on. After, it failed to turn on again. It would not turn on for multiple attempts so I tried reseating the ram and hard drive multiple times and it would not turn back on. At one point in the process, the fan stopped spinning when I tried to turn it on, but this was only for about 3 attempts and then started to work fine again.

I heard that dropping the laptop on to a soft surface from about 6 inches up may move something that is loose, so I attempted this on my bed. It finally turned back on again this morning.

One other problem I realized is that the wireless card is not working right now. I don't know if I forgot to attach a wire when disassembling it a while ago, so I'll have to look into that. If anyone knows of a wire underneath the keyboard that is supposed to be attached, can you please verify?

And finally today I will try to run all of those tests to see if I can confirm what is wrong with it. I will post later today the results, thanks for the links guys.

EDIT: Today, the date appeared as may 9 and was an hour off, which makes me think that the cmos battery is failing. I've read numerous places that this can't cause your computer to fail to start up, but I've also read people say they've seen cases of this. So if none of these tests come back bad, then I will look into that more.

Edited by howtheflip, 09 December 2012 - 11:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
A bad wireless card can prevent the computer from booting up if it is listed in the boot order, does the loose wire you mention have a brass coloured connection on the end, cover the wire with insulation tape for now.

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well, I know what the wireless card looks like on the back, and it has the two brass wires plugged in. But I think I may have unplugged another wire under the keyboard is what I mean, because it was working when I first got the laptop, so I don't think that that is the major problem.

I've been trying to run the memory diagnostic test but when my computer resets, it isn't able to restart correctly for some reason, so I don't know what this means either.

EDIT: I finally managed to get the test to work and it worked perfectly. After logging on however, all the settings I had saved previously were cleared. This means the several downloads, the password, and every other detail besides my background that I changed was reset. I still have the icons for most of the downloads but it says they cannot be located. Is this a sign of a HDD failure?

Edited by howtheflip, 09 December 2012 - 02:07 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
You said earlier;

EDIT: Today, the date appeared as may 9 and was an hour off,

What was the year that was showing.

Testing the Ram would not remove data from your HDD so it is important that the HDD is checked while you can, before the test can you do the following;

Go to Start then to Run/Search;
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.
Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Here you go, I hope this works.

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk Management JPG.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Sorry for the delay, how is the notebook running at present.

I note that you have two partitions on the HDD and that the 19.53GB one is empty, is this something that the seller has done previously.
Can you check your boot sequence in the BIOS and let us know in what order it is set please.

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
It was the CD drive and then the HDD, but I decided to try switching that at some point to see if that would fix the issue and it did not.

Yesterday, I managed to get to the CMOS battery and reseat it. The date reset, but besides that nothing helped towards fixing the problem.

Is there any way that I can delete that partition if it is being unused? I'd like to clear up any possibilities of problems, even if they seem ridiculous.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
First off if you have not done so already back up your working partition and, create a restore point and then use Partition Wizard to return the partition to unallocated space http://www.partition...on-manager.html

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
OK, i will do that. I also just updated the graphics driver and the bios both to the newest version possible. the problem persists but isn't as difficult anymore (that might just be speculative). Also, now during operating the OS, the screen will go black, make a dashed blinking line (one where it shows where you are texting, except horizontal) and then it will return to the OS after 2 seconds or so.

In the minitool partition, it shows that 7 gb is unused, 13 is a recovery partition, and the rest is c:OS partition.

I'm slightly confused at what you're asking me to do through this however. I tried clicking merge and it said that it is not supported. I tried deleting the extra partition and it still shows there.

Edited by howtheflip, 11 December 2012 - 02:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
I asked earlier;

I note that you have two partitions on the HDD and that the 19.53GB one is empty, is this something that the seller has done previously.

What is the answer please, also consider using the empty partition for backing the OS up to once the present issue is resolved.

In the minitool partition, it shows that 7 gb is unused, 13 is a recovery partition, and the rest is c:OS partition.

Which partition is the above information from, the 19.53GB is showing as being empty, before doing anything else with the empty partition allocate it a drive letter for identification purposes http://www.wikihow.c...-a-Drive-Letter, how to delete a partition should you need it http://www.partition...-partition.html

howtheflip

howtheflip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
As far as I know, the partition was not intentional. I have deleted it and everything is in the same somewhat running condition. As far as other things, the previous owner has installed new RAM, which is 1600ghz 4gb. The system says it supports 4gb up to 1333ghz, but I didn't think this would cause a problem booting and would just downclock the RAM, correct? Please let me know if this could be the cause of my problems.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
As long as the Ram is the same type and voltage then it should cause no problems and yes you are correct the Ram will operate at the lower speed.