Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway MS2285 won't boot

• Please log in to reply

lkaz

lkaz

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello.

I have a Gateway MS2285 laptop. When I power it on, the blue power light comes on and the battery charge light comes on, fan runs but nothing else boots up. Screen is black.
I checked the voltage on my power supply 19v and 120 v - checked OK.

Any suggestions as to why it isn't booting up? Need it to study for finals - all my information is stored on this laptop.

Thanks,
Linda K.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello lkaz

Have you tried connecting the notebook to an external display by way of the VGA port.

Two other checks for you to do, 1: Try pressing the Fn and the F4 keys down together in case the notebook has somehow been toggled to external display mode. 2: Shine a flashlight into the screen then look closely to see if you can see the desktop icons in the background, let us know how it goes.

lkaz

lkaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello - thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly.

I tried two separarte VGA monitors and neither work on the laptop - the monitor lights remain orange, never green, and nothing shows on the external monitors.
I did the FN-F4 toggle - nothing. Used the flashlight - I don't see any icons - just a very black screen.

The only thing I hear from the laptop is the fan. The hard drive comes on very, very briefly and shuts off (I just noticed that this last time I turned it on). Battery appears charged.

Thanks so much for walking me through this...anything else I can try?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update, try removing the memory and powering up the notebook to see if you get any error beeps.
Let us know the result and how many sticks of memory you have, a guide to help you with removing the memory http://www.insidemyl...fix-power-jack/ please only refer to how to remove the memory and not how to dismantle the notebook.

lkaz

lkaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello - I see you are from the UK - that's really cool.

OK - took out the memory and rebooted - not a sound. Only beep I get is when I remove the power adapter jack with the battery in.
Waiting your direction...

Edited by lkaz, 06 December 2012 - 09:48 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello - I see you are from the UK - that's really cool.
Hello, Yep and unfortunately at present it is freezing :(

OK - took out the memory and rebooted - not a sound. Only beep I get is when I remove the power adapter jack with the battery in.
Do you have one or two sticks of Ram in the machine**
Waiting your direction...
Please try removing the battery and connecting/using only the AC adaptor to power the notebook, if you have two sticks of Ram try inserting only one stick of Ram in slot one, power up, make a note of the results and then repeat the procedure with the same stick of Ram in slot two, if you have two sticks of Ram place the tested stick on a piece of paper with #1 written on it for easy identification purposes and then try the exact same procedure using Ram stick number two and let us know the results please

If the above does not help to resolve the issue we should look to securing your important data of the HDD so that it at least removes one worry for you, we will help you with this if it is required.

lkaz

lkaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Please try removing the battery and connecting/using only the AC adaptor to power the notebook, if you have two sticks of Ram try inserting only one stick of Ram in slot one, power up, make a note of the results and then repeat the procedure with the same stick of Ram in slot two, if you have two sticks of Ram place the tested stick on a piece of paper with #1 written on it for easy identification purposes and then try the exact same procedure using Ram stick number two and let us know the results please

OK - did as you requested - nothing to report - does not power on , no beeps. I did this before the following scenario took place.

There is a new twist - I left the computer on all night, plugged in with the battery installed. It went into sleep mode and when I pressed the power button after several hours it came on in full glory - everything working. I used it during the day and left it sitting (plugged in with battery), it went to sleep mode again and would not turn on (same symptoms as before). I took out the RAM again and inspected the teeth and plug-in area (sorry for the lack of proper terminology) - all looked good. Re-installed the RAM but the computer would not come on (fan running only, same issues as original problem). Left it plugged in as I did the previous night with the battery installed (heard the fan shut off during the night - it was in my room). Tried to power it on several hours later (pushing the power button) - it powered up and is working at present.

What does this tell you? Anything significant? Could it just be a power setting that I have to change or does it sound like something is slowly failing?

Stay warm...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Well done for getting the notebook working :thumbsup:

It is unlikely that a power setting is causing this as the behavior is random, it would however do no harm to check the settings but I recommend that first of all you secure your important data as a precaution, "how to" below;

===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives[list]
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Note that there might be some other Puppy distros on the page (such as Slacko Puppy), but you need Lucid Puppy (lupu), the Ubuntu-based one. Always make sure you start downloading a file that starts with "lupu"!

Puppy on a USB device http://www.puppylinu...flash-puppy.htm

lkaz

lkaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK...I will do this.

I have changed all of the power settings (sleep, hibernate, etc.) to NEVER. I also changed my hard drive to NEVER stop as well. The computer has not powered off, so I have not had the problem. This is a band-aid, of course but I need to study for finals which are in a few days.

Anyhow, any ideas from your experience what might be the hardware issue with this kind of behavior?
I am using Windows 7, fyi. Could this be a malware issue?

I really appreciate your opinion...thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Without further tests on individual components any suggestions would be speculative which is not the correct way to do things but keep a check on the battery status and unusual noises or behavior from the HDD.

Re possible malware, if you have any cause to suspect this you may need the assistance of the experts over at the malware forum however before you post there please read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;

1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.
2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.
3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days then post in the Waiting Room http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/ be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.

Good luck.

Advertisements

lkaz

lkaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK. I will follow your advice and if there is no success via the malware removal route, I will be back.

Thank you very much,
lkaz

Edited by lkaz, 08 December 2012 - 11:35 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ironically, I just got an asus laptop with windows 7 that has literally the exact symptoms. Reseating everything does not work, and the computer turns on occasionally and runs perfectly fine while it is on. I would love to discover what your problem is so I could fix mine as well.

I tried the windows memory diagnostic test, which my machine passed, so I feel like yours isn't going to be a problem like that either.

lkaz

lkaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I am wondering if it is not hardware related but some kind of malware. I am planning to have geekstogo! walk me through that when I am done with finals this week. I am afraid to turn off the computer right now - finals are done on Friday (12/14) - then I plan to do a malware diagnostics, reboot, etc. If that does the trick, I will gladly let you know.

I have changed all of the power settings to "never" for now - at least it keeps the computer active and useable.

howtheflip

howtheflip

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Well, for me if i turn my laptop on, wait 30 minutes, shut it off, then turn it back on, it always boots up. This makes me think that something is soldered poorly and the heat allows it to move back into place. (i just dealt with this with the infamous hp dv2000 series.) To try to fix it, I applied a generous amount of heat to the graphics card in that case, but I'm not sure what it is in this case, so i am going to try to heat up the laptop through it's fan and leave it on for several hours and see if that helps the problem.

I also ran a test on the hard drive and that passed. The only things it could be at this point are gpu, cpu, or motherboard for me I think.

If it is malware, would reinstalling your OS get rid of it? Because when I received the laptop, it hand a brand new OS on it.