Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

replacing a Power supply

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
OK I have a computer which power supply mounts on top of the tower.I am looking to purchase a replacement power supply with more wattage.Currently i have a 300w PSU.Looking for maybe a 400-600w PSU.The problem is most of power supplies these days have fan on top of the unit,which would get covered by top of the inside of the case,some say this is a fan that takes in air,not exhaust it,it exhaust it out back of power supply.I feel most these are meant for newer towers which the power supply is mounted on bottom of case.Now doing research on this some say it can be installed on top of case just let fan face downward,but not sure would work cause,it doesn't show it in pictures or specifications,that screw holes would work being reversed,since the way the screw holes are placed to screw in and that i would be able to reverse it in this way.Then some say putting it this way would cause heat issues,would make it or other things burn out and that it is better on bottom case with the fan facing upward,even tho heat rises,since it is suppose to be an intake fan.So all in all my question is,is there or are there any power supplies or possibilities that this would work on top case mounted tower or do i have to just try buy one with a fan faces out back of tower,which again hard to find,most not rated well? Also i have an Asus motherboard sandybrige intel i5 2320 processor.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi jds63.
Many cases today come with an intake grille in the bottom of the case so when installing a PSU, the fan faces down. It will be OK to install your PSU with the fan facing down, screw holes will match providing it is one of the ATX versions.
Please post the brand/model of your current PSU so we can check it's actual size and make some suggestions for a replacement.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
OK i have looked at inside PC brand of the PSU is ACBel HBA008-ZA1GT-350 AC out is 110-120v-4.0a,50-60hz,220-240v,DC out +3.3v +5v +12v1 +12v2 +5vsb-10.0a 10.0a 13.0a 0.3a 2.0a,max combine 83w/216w 3.6w 10w,total voltage 286.4w 13.6w..The computer is a Asus Essentio CM6730 Intel core i5 2320 Sandy Bridge 32nm technology 3.00ghz 6gb RAM Microsoft Windows 7 64bit.Recently i added a discrete graphics card will eventually add a audio card thinking i will require more wattage and amps from PSU.Graphics card says needs 300w or greater power supply,so then if i want add audio card,all else i have is a hard drive and dvd ram writer drive.Also my question on heat issue with this type of PSU fan,can you answer if this is O.K..
Oh and yes i do believe this is a ATX version.

Edited by jds63, 06 December 2012 - 03:46 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your current installed PSU draws all it's air from inside the case and exhausts it out the back so whatever PSU you install in that case it will still draw all it's air from inside and exhaust out the back. Install with the fan facing down. You will have no issues with heat.

What video card have you purchased?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
I installed a EVGA nvidia GeForce GT610 2mb dd3 ram.I still do not see how flipping this newer PSU with fan on top will line up with the screw holes as when i see it in picture one screw hole is inset and others on edge.
So i may only be able to use three screws instead of four.Will it line up was question?I also will put in a audio card i have,a creative sound blaster X-FI titanium.I do not want purchase one till i am sure will fit right in case,with aligned screw holes,if possible can show me some brands will fit,to help me.

Edited by jds63, 09 December 2012 - 04:35 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
In the first link, is this your PSU?
If it is installed with the switch on the left and the exhaust fan on the right. The intake fan is facing the bottom of the case.
> http://yvasi.com.ua/...&i=380446026265

The following link shows a good quality PSU that will be great for your upgrade and is not very expensive.
Click on the gallery view, the first pic shows the PSU with the intake fan facing up. The second pic shows the PSU with the fan facing down, you can see that the screw holes now match those of the one you have installed at the moment, top left hole in, top right hole down, both bottom holes in the corners. The plug socket and switch are in a line and will be clear of the surrounding grille so you can use them.
> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817151094

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. on mine there is no intake fan on bottom of PSU,just a fan on back of PSU,one i have does not have a power switch on PSU either,but link you sent me is my PSU.I do see that turning the one from Newegg upside down will work now,screw holes will match,switched that way,my biggest concern is that of heat as i said,one from Newegg I assume intakes hot air from inside case and exhaust it out of the back PSU.Again this will not create a heat problem as i have seen in research articles on doing it this way?Some said may burn out PSU faster,it seems there is debates on which way better ones with on bottom case or ones on top case,makes sense that heat rises and this fan will take it out,being on top with fan facing down,tell me what you think,thank you so far for your help,much appreciated.Also one from Newegg does match specs to use on this,if want to look elsewhere do you knowwhat specs i need to look for exactly to match it,except for wattage .Can you also explain to me difference between modular and non modular power supplies as this NEWEGG one is not modular.

Edited by jds63, 09 December 2012 - 08:35 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Power supply bottom or top?
I prefer the bottom, especially if the fan takes air from outside through a bottom grill but, there are 168 computer case on Newegg with the PSU at the top. > http://www.newegg.co...h=1&srchInDesc= air is taken from inside the case.
Your PSU has a 80mm fan just behind the vent hole, it draws air from inside the case, over the parts, and expels it out the vent.
The Sesonic, on Newegg, has a 120mm fan on the flat side of the PSU, it takes air from inside the case and blows it over the parts and expels through the vent hole.
Both perform the same function but in slightly different ways.

There will be no problem with heat.

Can you also explain to me difference between modular and non modular power supplies

This one is not modular, all cables are fixed inside the PSU, any you do not use have to be tidied together and kept as clear as possible of good airflow through the case.
> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817151094
This one, same brand, is modular, has three fixed cables from inside the PSU and the rest are plugin, only use the ones your require, look at the gallery pics, you always pay a little more for modular.
> http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817151093

Look at the details on the Newegg link for the specs you require.
Please do not buy a cheap, not very well known brand, the whole performance and stability of your PC depends on the PSU.
The one I selected is good quality, gives clean stable power, is very reasonable priced and has a five year warranty.
If you are going to select a different one, please post a link so we can give an opinion.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. again my case has a top mounted PSU,an ATX CASE.This computer was bought not put together by me,by buying all parts,so i do not want to buy another case.As you said from heat not being a problem was my biggest concern about mounting psu with a fan on top and on inside,you said facing it down would not be a heat issue,but you say in a slightly different way,as explained.I do not think i need a modular one,not looking spend so much,just needed a understanding more on them,differences,ty.I am linking two i was looking into,tell me if you feel wattage still might be enough.Not sure i may need one over 500w PSU,since only be adding a sound card,already have graphics card installed,said Graphics card is a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GT610 2MB DDR3,Sound card sound blasterX-FI Titanium.

My link

My link

here's two more not sure this rosewell brand

My link

how is this brand
http://www.tigerdire...2739&CatId=1078

Edited by jds63, 10 December 2012 - 07:30 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your first link to the SeaSonic > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151074 is the one I would go for. The second one is a little low amps n the 12v rail and the last two I would not use in any of my build, not good enough products. Your video card requires 300 watt minimum and the sound card will need up to 20w, supplied by the slot, so the PSU will still have some reserve should you add other things like another HDD or larger monitor.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. I will either look around more for equal 12v rail PSU's or choose that Seasonics,which i see is a good brand rated power supply.I have a 21.5" LED monitor that i had purchased right before the computer,have a 100gb hard drive so i am not looking add another at this point and DVD Ram drive.Thank you very much for your help on this,again it's much appreciated,this site is very helpful,i have learned even more then i knew from here.
If i have another question i will post back.TY

Edited by jds63, 11 December 2012 - 03:47 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your welcome, Posted Image

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
TY,again for help,have a question about case fans,do you think having only the PSU 120mm fan and a CPU fan,which all i would have,would be good to have another fan in case?I have a grill on back of case where a fan can be mounted,What type can i get,mm,and which way should air flow go in or out?Appreciate can answer this one more question for me,ty.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I would be inclined to leave the airflow set up as it is and run the computer, monitor the temps and see how it performs.
It looks to me as though there is no good air intake at the front of the case, so the grill on the back has been left empty to allow air intake. If you decide to add a fan, I would try it as an intake fan to begin with and monitor the temps, then reverse it to blow air out, monitor the temps again and decide which is the best.
You can fit a 92mm fan. A cheap case fan is not very controllable, so is likely to just run at top revs and probable be quite noisy. I would use this fan as it has a number of ways to control it, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835608027

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
O.K. i noticed my motherboard which is a Asus p8h61-m-Pro,has two extra fan connectors,4-pin CHA_FAN1,4-pin CHA_FAN2,plus CPU Fan connector.Can i use these to connect a fan if i want to,i wasn't sure from reading i did on it?I felt then can be controlled by BIOS,fan speeds,won't run at top speed.Only fan i have is one on CPU,then one be on new PSU.Other ways said to be connected is on PSU,but as you say will run fast,or as you said buy one you listed.I also have a software suite called AI Suite,came with the system,believe able to control fan speeds,but also in BIOS i can.

Edited by jds63, 13 December 2012 - 08:48 PM.