Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSI built in Laptop Webcam no longer working :( Help :(

• Please log in to reply

shadys321

shadys321

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi, I have a MSI 1651 GX620 laptop that the build-in webcam recently stopped working as of last night. I know what caused it, (I was using one of those free-driver-update sites like an idiot, and 'flashed and/or installed' some sort of update for my 'USB Video Cam' and ever since, the webcam no longer works. When I turn it on, the device reads 'USB camera' and before I could of swore it said USB 2.0 Camera. I have tried going to MSI's webpage and downloading the driver from there, but they claim 'it uses a generic driver bundled in the windows software'. I have uninstalled/reinstalled (via device manager/windows update) many times. I have also tried looking up drivers online using the Hardware ID's of the device, but nothing installed so far has fixed my issue. There is no yellow exclamation mark

I believe whatever caused this in the first place, could of possibly 'rewrote' something entirely because the 'udate' program that originally opened had just one big button 'WRITE' in green letters. I have even just reformatted my computer, and the cam still does not work. Could it of even changed the hardware ID for it completely? Is that even possible?

All applications (Skype, ManyCam, Yahoo Messenger, ect ect) report the cam cannot be accessed. The little orange light that usually comes on hasnt been on since either.

Screenshots:

Posted Image
Posted Image

My claimed HARDWARE ID's:
Posted Image
USB\VID_0C45&PID_6300&REV_0000&MI_00
USB\VID_0C45&PID_6300&MI_00

I have been trying for days like a mad man to try and fix this. I am now at a wall. Please, any input, advice, ect would be appreciated.

Edited by shadys321, 06 December 2012 - 06:32 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hello shadys321

Have you checked the other devices in the Device Manager?
The reason that I ask is your screenshots are showing a USB device and not integrated as your 2.0M webcam is, has this always been the case.

Couple of suggestions for you;
1: Last known Good Configuration http://windows.micro...d-Configuration
2: Restore the systems factory default settings in the BIOS, let us know if you need help with this.
3: Install the firmware update for the camera http://www.msi.com/p...#/?div=Firmware

shadys321

shadys321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
No this has not always been the case, it previously shown as 'USB 2.0 Webcam' or something along those lines, and NOT what it is showing now. It started showing as it currently is after trying using a program called 'Device Doctor' to try to get the most up-to-date drivers available for anything needed. Specifically, a file by the name of 'asus_1490654743eeed.zip' (3,448 KB) was recommended to use to update my Webcam, and like an idiot, I tried using it. The program opened and 'wrote' something, instead of installing updated driver components or the such, as most if not all driver updates are suppose to do. This is what caused this issue. Ever since, the webcam no longer works (always claims the webcam is in use by something, which it is not) and it no longer shows correctly, as you said, in my Device Manager. And yes, the current driver of that 'USB Webcam' is the default one MSI tells me to use, that comes from Windows Update.

I am 100% certain the device listed as 'USB Camera' is my integrated camera that use to read '2.0 something'.

I have attached a link to this specific 'update' that caused this issue, if this is against any rules I greatly apologize. It is the root of my problem. :(

asus_1490654743eeed.zip

As per your suggestions, they are greatly appreciated.
1. - I tried a System Restore, and then Reformatted my entire computer, just tried 'Last Known Good Configuration' and it made no difference.
2. - I will try resetting the BIOS defaults again, as I even went as far as reflashing the BIOS itself, still to no avail.

3. - I also flashed the Webcam firmware update as per the instructions given by MSI on that page (using bootable USB stick).

I greatly appreciate your input, any further suggestions and/or advice is appreciated. This has really been aggravating me as I've spent the good part of the last few days troubleshooting this.

Thanks again.

Edited by shadys321, 08 December 2012 - 11:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Last known Good Configuration will do nothing now that the HDD has been formatted, also be aware though that it may have resolved the issue but then again it may not have.

The steps that you have taken up to now may have resolved the issue but you should consider that it may also be a coincidence that the webcam stopped working after running the driver software and that it is a hardware related problem with the camera.

Have you tried uninstalling the device itself by right clicking on it in Device Manager, if not please do so then uninstall all of the present installed software associated with the camera, restart the notebook and see if the Hardware Wizard detects the webcam, if it does allow it to install it using the generic Windows drivers, if no joy;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

shadys321

shadys321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have tried uninstalling the device from Device Manager, restarting, to no avail. Still comes up USB Camera. I followed the instructions you gave me, and these are my results. I hope it helps :(
(Now mind you I am using a USB keyboard, and USB (Micro) Mouse if you happen to see that in the results.)

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25160830

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Uninstall the following please;

WO Webcam Client
USB Video Device
Kinoni Drivers
ManyCam 3.1.21

Next check your computers IRQs in case another hardware component has been allocated the same address "how to"
Press Start, then type "System Information" in the Search box and press "Enter." You can also press and hold
the "Windows" key on the keyboard and press "R," then type "msinfo32" and press "Enter."

Click the "+" next to "Hardware Resources, then click "IRQs." The list of all IRQs allocated on your system displays.

Click the "+" next to Components, then click individual hardware components such as "Sound Device" or "Display" to view the drivers and IRQ channel of the component.

Post back with a screenshot of the results please.

shadys321

shadys321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok I uninstalled all said software, (Kinoni/WO drivers/applications were from using my Android phone as a temporary replacement cam). I then restarted my computer. I also tried uninstalling it from device manager again, and letting Windows reinstall it. That also did not work, came back as 'USB Webcam'.

Still, does not work. No difference. :(

I took another PC Pitstop test, if it's any correlation: http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25160830

Also, the screenshots requested are as follows:

IRQ'S:

Posted Image

Posted Image

(from IRQ 81 to IRQ 190 is the same exact 'Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System' with 'OK' next to all of them)

Posted Image

--------------------

'Component's part':

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any more sections that you need a screenshot of just let me know.
(Nothing shows up in the 'Problem Devices' tab or the 'Ports' tab. Just a white screen.

I really appreciate your help on this by the way. I can't believe I caused all this trouble with one little file. :(

Edited by shadys321, 08 December 2012 - 03:40 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Thanks for the screenshots but unfortunately they will not enlarge for us to be able to read them.

Can you post them again please following the steps below;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

shadys321

shadys321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am sorry about that.

Here are better screeshots:

IRQ's:

Posted Image

(IRQ 81 to IRQ 190 is the same Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System as mentioned before)

Posted Image

--------------

Components:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by shadys321, 08 December 2012 - 04:05 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

As there is no specific webcam entry listed can you reboot the notebook and check that the camera is enabled in the BIOS, see the copy/paste details below;

Press F2 key constantly after you boot up your computer.
The BIOS SETUP UTILITY will appear.
Select the “Onboard Devices Configuration” option, and press “Enter”.
Select “Onboard Camera” and set it to “Enabled”.
Press F10 and then OK to save and exit.

Advertisements

shadys321

shadys321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Pressing F2 repeatedly during startup causes 'Windows Boot Manager' to come up with only 'Windows Recovery' and 'Memory Diagnostics' to come up. Pressing DEL during boot brings me to what I believe is my BIOS. I have barely any options to change anything, even in the 'Advanced' tab. There is nothing even related to 'Onboard Devices' or Devices in general to alter. No options as such what so ever.

I have the latest version of the BIOS on the MSI website, http://www.msi.com/p...html#/?div=BIOS

Is there any other way to check and/or enable onboard devices?

Edit: I took pictures with my phone of the BIOS, I hope it is readable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by shadys321, 08 December 2012 - 05:18 PM.

shadys321

shadys321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was able to flash a older version of my BIOS and gained more options, as you can see..

I still see nothing about 'Onboard Devices/Components' though :(

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Settings are as they should be and as you have said you have few adjustment options, try running the MSI system control manager software as it is required for activating your hardware http://www.downloads...e.net/dm/18447/ please disregard any other product or service offered at the link.

shadys321

shadys321

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have had SCM installed, since and before the reformat. I can't seem to 'open' it as nothing happens when I do, but it seems to be running as a background application or service.

Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Running out of ideas I`m afraid, is there a chance that the activation button is not working.

See if DriverMax suggests any alternative drivers for either the webcam or the Intel chipset http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ unlike some DriverMax is perfectly safe but you are only allowed to download two drivers a day for free.